POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : best pattern for sea animation? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  best pattern for sea animation? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Subject: best pattern for sea animation?
Date: 27 Nov 2004 15:29:12
Message: <Xns95AEDADA31372raf256com@203.29.75.35>
What pattern would You reccomend for open sea _animation_ ?

plane {
  y , 0
  // ...
  normal { bozo translate clock*y }
}

isnt too good... something better?   normal { waves phase clock } ?

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: best pattern for sea animation?
Date: 27 Nov 2004 18:30:57
Message: <41a90e31$1@news.povray.org>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-11-27
15:29... :

>What pattern would You reccomend for open sea _animation_ ?
>
>plane {
>  y , 0
>  // ...
>  normal { bozo translate clock*y }
>}
>
>isnt too good... something better?   normal { waves phase clock } ?

You can try an average of waves and crackle. Translate the waves pattern
by a large value to get generaly straight waves.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 27 Nov 2004 20:47:26
Message: <41A92E2E.4BB82228@gold.sdsmt.edu>
Unless you're viewing the ocean from a distance, I wouldn't recommend
using a surface normal.  Also, normals don't animate very well up
close.  I'd recommend an Isosurface, or a height field, maybe even both
unless you're talking about very deep water and not shoals or reefs and
such.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory
method for doing this, so you'll have to figure that out yourself unless
somebody else can tell you how to do it.

I did see an animation once, where someone had made the water ripple as
an object move in it, but I can't remember where I saw it.

I hope this helps somewhat.

ADB

--
//Anthony D. Baye, Student - Comp.Sci.
#default{pigment{rgb<0,.4,1>}finish{reflection 0.3 specular 0.6}}#macro

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 27 Nov 2004 22:24:58
Message: <41a9450a@news.povray.org>
> What pattern would You reccomend for open sea _animation_ ?
>   normal { bozo translate clock*y }

Try wrinkles. It's busier and works decently for a water surface if I
remember right. Otherwise, you might try f_hetero_mf or f_ridged_mf
functions in functions.inc.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: stm31415
Date: 27 Nov 2004 22:30:00
Message: <web.41a94559391135dccc0346870@news.povray.org>
You can make the water ripple under an object if you're using normals (put a
shape just .0001 above the water, and give it a different normal. It takes
a little work to get the right look). Unfortunately, as has been mentioned,
normals are not nearly as good looking as a heightfield or a isosurface of
the same function. I think I have an animation somewhere that sows a normal
ocean with a rippling object...Let me see...

-S
5TF!

Post a reply to this message

From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 28 Nov 2004 04:21:44
Message: <Xns95AF69AED7A13raf256com@203.29.75.35>
ant### [at] goldsdsmtedu news:41A92E2E.4BB82228@gold.sdsmt.edu

> Unless you're viewing the ocean from a distance, I wouldn't recommend
> using a surface normal.  Also, normals don't animate very well up
> close.  I'd recommend an Isosurface, or a height field, maybe even both
> unless you're talking about very deep water and not shoals or reefs and
> such.

Yeap, for distance this Pattern will be a normal, from close-up it will
become height in height_field

From: Eli
Date: 4 Dec 2004 18:29:18
Message: <41b2484e$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann has come up with a very good way of animating large waves
and I used it for the IMP project.

Animation: http://imp.azurite.co.uk/media/animations/43.mpg - (720x480) -
31.6 MB (33,214,033 bytes)

Zipped sources: http://www.imp.org/impfarm/jobs/43.zip - 181 KB
(i-dont-wanna-calculate-so-you-do-it-yourself bytes)