POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speed Up sky_sphere Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Speed Up sky_sphere (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Subject: Speed Up sky_sphere
Date: 1 Mar 2004 23:34:54
Message: <Xns94A038B367710raf256com@203.29.75.35>
How user can speed up complicated sky_sphere?

I was thinking of rendering scene with only sky_skyspere (and/or other
elements so far that they can be considered as background) and then using
sky_sphere with image_map.

What camera type ue when pre-computing, and what mapping use when fast
rendering later?

Btw is it possible to create own .hdr from POV simmilar method as above
(without using external programs)?

How about adding HDR support into Pov 3.6 - it's so usable option, any
chances for that?

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/

Post a reply to this message

> I was thinking of rendering scene with only sky_skyspere (and/or other
> elements so far that they can be considered as background) and then using
> sky_sphere with image_map.

Good thinking.

> What camera type ue when pre-computing, and what mapping use when fast
> rendering later?

Spherical camera, spherical mapping. Note that they work slightly
differently so if you want it to match up exactly, you'll have to do some
rotating and negative scaling of the image map.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

> How user can speed up complicated sky_sphere?
>
> I was thinking of rendering scene with only sky_skyspere (and/or other
> elements so far that they can be considered as background) and then using
> sky_sphere with image_map.

IME, this will suit for test renders, but for high-quality renders
you'll need a very hi-res image_map to avoid blurring and/or pixellation.

Still, if you've got a really complex sky_sphere, it MIGHT be worth it.

-Xplo