POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fast poligonal solids? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Fast poligonal solids? (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Rich
Subject: Fast poligonal solids?
Date: 1 May 2001 20:46:18
Message: <Xns9094BEF52FBFCspammindspringcom@204.213.191.228>
Has anyone come up with fast rendering solid poligonal shapes?  What I'm
looking for is the tetrahedron, octahedron, etc.  The ones in shapes2.inc
are SLOW, more than 15 times slower than a sphere, for instance.  I've
looked through the links on the POV server, but have yet to find anything I
can use.
  The shapes need to be solid so I can CSG some numbers and/or letters into
the faces.  Even if the shapes are just a little faster than the ones in
shapes2.inc, I'd appreciate seeing them.  The picture I posted the other
day called GlassSpheres.jpg was rendered in a little over an hour;
replacing the 64 spheres with dodecahedrons and re-rendering took 17.5
hours!!

--
Rich Allen
(Remove SPAM from my address to reply by e-mail)

Post a reply to this message

>   Has anyone come up with fast rendering solid poligonal shapes?  What I'm
> looking for is the tetrahedron, octahedron, etc.  The ones in shapes2.inc
> are SLOW, more than 15 times slower than a sphere, for instance.  I've
> looked through the links on the POV server, but have yet to find anything I
> can use.
>   The shapes need to be solid so I can CSG some numbers and/or letters into
> the faces.  Even if the shapes are just a little faster than the ones in
> shapes2.inc, I'd appreciate seeing them.  The picture I posted the other
> day called GlassSpheres.jpg was rendered in a little over an hour;
> replacing the 64 spheres with dodecahedrons and re-rendering took 17.5
> hours!!

Since these shapes are intersections of planes, you sould try manual
bounding which can speed up rendering a lot, esp. if many planes are
invloved.

Another possibility would be using a mesh, but you can't CSG it, unless
you use megapov and it's solid mesh feature.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

: Another possibility would be using a mesh, but you can't CSG it, unless
: you use megapov and it's solid mesh feature.

  This is definitely the fastest solution.

--
#local D=array[6]{11117333955,7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330}
#local I=0;#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I],13),8)-3,10>#end

Post a reply to this message

>  Has anyone come up with fast rendering solid poligonal shapes?  What I'm
>looking for is the tetrahedron, octahedron, etc.  The ones in shapes2.inc
>are SLOW, more than 15 times slower than a sphere, for instance.  I've
>looked through the links on the POV server, but have yet to find anything I
>can use.
>  The shapes need to be solid so I can CSG some numbers and/or letters into
>the faces.  Even if the shapes are just a little faster than the ones in
>shapes2.inc, I'd appreciate seeing them.  The picture I posted the other
>day called GlassSpheres.jpg was rendered in a little over an hour;
>replacing the 64 spheres with dodecahedrons and re-rendering took 17.5
>hours!!

Try this:-

#include "shapes.inc"
#include "shapes2.inc"

#declare Bounded_Dodecahedron = object {Dodecahedron
   bounded_by {sphere {0,1.26}}
}

If you've got lots of small dodecahedrons in your scene, then these
Bounded_Dodecahedrons will render *much* faster.

The reason is that POV isn't smart enough to work out that the
intersection of the 12 planes that define the ordinary dodecahedron is
bounded, so automatic bounding slabs don't get generated. So, for every
ray, POV has to check the ray's intersection with 12 planes for each
dodecahedron.

When you manually apply bounds to the object, POV performs one sphere
intersection test for each bounding sphere, and then only goes on to
perform the 12 plane tests in the few cases where the bounds check
succeeds.

The speed improvement depends on how likely each ray is to miss each
dodecahedron. I'd guess that, for your image, Bounded_Dodecahedrons
would render in less than twice the time taken for spheres. In an image
with a few large dodecahedrons there wouldn't be much speed improvement.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>: Another possibility would be using a mesh, but you can't CSG it, unless
>: you use megapov and it's solid mesh feature.
>
>   This is definitely the fastest solution.

  Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do with meshes.  Any pointers to
already-calculated mesh files?  <smile>