POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : movieProject, some ideas and observations Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  movieProject, some ideas and observations (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Peter Willems
Subject: movieProject, some ideas and observations
Date: 14 May 1998 04:44:29
Message: <MPG.fc4ccf1bffaf57e989682@news.povray.org>
Hi there to all you cinematic povhicons.....

I'm following this project with growing interest and like
to add my 2 cents..

Observations:

First of all I think that all the enthousiasm is a good thing
but it can be a bad thing for such a project if it is not
chanelled properly. I we are to produce a feature-length
movie, it has to be GOOD in every respect so we should take
time to considder several things. Organizing the project in
groups for diferent tasks is a good start tmo.

The IRC-thing is nice, but here in Europe we pay our telephone
connection by the minute, so I (for one) like to keep my
connection-time as short as possible. IRC is therefore not
a good choice. I would vote for a mailing-list with moderated
subscription so that only participants can discuss on it.
We could open a second mailing-list that takes no messages
from subscribers but to send out weekly digests from the other
list to everyone who do not want to participate directly but
likes to follow the project from the "outside".
I do have my own server and will be glad to host those lists.

About the name "render-slave": Large render-jobs are done at a
render-farm where lots of machines are connected in a network to
do the job. Therefore what we are using will be a "virtual
render-farm". So maybe "renderfarm participant" will be a good
name.

Idea for the movie:

A good movie is based on a good screenplay which is in turn
based on a good story with karakters that has karakter.
What I mean to say with this is that we need some kind of
personality's in the story ti drive it, otherwise it will
just be a long documentary about ray-tracing.
There is already stated that we can not use human figures
because they are hard to model on a quality-level but
we CAN use human-alike figures. If the project adopts a
scifi theme for the story (my favorite too) we can use
cyborg-like semi-humans. They have the outside look of some
kind of robot but human brains inside that has _karakter_ .
Take a look at some manga-movies to see what can be done with
this.

What about me:

You can count me in for now, but I have no idea how much time
I can free up at this point. I have some cpu-time available
for pure rendering that I donate.
Besides this I have a small music-studio that might come in
handy for sound-edit and syncing. (I have a midi-setup with
80 midi-channels and smtp-sync in place, and a 8-track tape
recorder for pure analog recording). If you need more info
on the studio or my computer-setup, let me know.

Peter.

Post a reply to this message

>About the name "render-slave": Large render-jobs are done at a
>render-farm where lots of machines are connected in a network to
>do the job. Therefore what we are using will be a "virtual
>render-farm". So maybe "renderfarm participant" will be a good
>name.

Yeah!. "Renderfarm participant" is a bit akward though. So for now I settle
for "Render-Farmer" - until something better comes along.
At least we are done with the bad "Render-Slave".
Please everyone: Use "Render-Farmer" from now on :-)

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

> Yeah!. "Renderfarm participant" is a bit akward though. So for now I settle
> for "Render-Farmer" - until something better comes along.

Hey, every farm needs some cowboys, how about render-cowboys. I could be the
lone star... ;-)

//Hans Wachtmeister
Render-Cowboy...

Post a reply to this message

> > Yeah!. "Renderfarm participant" is a bit akward though. So for now I settle
> > for "Render-Farmer" - until something better comes along.
>
> Hey, every farm needs some cowboys, how about render-cowboys. I could be the
> lone star... ;-)
>
> //Hans Wachtmeister
> Render-Cowboy...

Well, for the system I was programming (simple POV-Ray render farm), I
came up with "Farmhands" as one of the terms. Saves two syllables.

Post a reply to this message

Any one knows about the famous belgian cartoon cow-boy karakter ?
I'm talking about Lucky-Luke.
Not a mickey mouse anyway ;-)

Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.

Post a reply to this message