POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Semi-transparent rocket exhaust plumes ? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Semi-transparent rocket exhaust plumes ? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bjorn Jonsson
Subject: Semi-transparent rocket exhaust plumes ?
Date: 19 Feb 2004 19:43:32
Message: <MPG.1a9f688f58da0b098968f@news.povray.org>
Has anyone done a realistic-looking semi-transparent rocket exhaust
plume (no bright fire and no smoke) and if so, how ? I'm thinking of
something vaguely similar to these (except it will be from a spacecraft
in space and not on the ground):

http://www.clavius.org/img/az50fire.jpg
http://www.clavius.org/img/tit2-engine.jpg

And maybe a bit like this although I want a much more regular plume
shape:

http://cs.space.eads.net/sp/images/Plume_S10-2.jpg

Basically, what I want is a faint plume with a fuzzy outer boundary,
with its visibility strongest (and also the lowest level of
transparency) not far from its outer boundary as in the links above.

--
Bjorn Jonsson / bjj### [at] ZZZmmediais
Address changed to avoid spam. Remove YYY and

Post a reply to this message

> Has anyone done a realistic-looking semi-transparent rocket exhaust
> plume (no bright fire and no smoke) and if so, how ? I'm thinking of
> something vaguely similar to these (except it will be from a
> spacecraft in space and not on the ground):

I have one in my April 03 IRTC entry:

  http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/anims/2003-04-15/advent.mpg

You may not like the color, but the technique should be adaptable to
your purposes.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

In article <403### [at] hotmailcom>, evi### [at] hotmailcom
says...
> Bjorn Jonsson wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone done a realistic-looking semi-transparent rocket exhaust
> > plume (no bright fire and no smoke) and if so, how ? I'm thinking of
> > something vaguely similar to these (except it will be from a
> > spacecraft in space and not on the ground):
>
> I have one in my April 03 IRTC entry:
>
>   http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/anims/2003-04-15/advent.mpg
>
> You may not like the color, but the technique should be adaptable to
> your purposes.
>
> Regards,
> John

This is somewhat similar to what I'm trying to do and could definitely
be modified into something I'd be happy with. The only problem is that I
found no source code or description of how this was done ;-).

FWIW what I'm planning to do is to add the exhaust plume to this:

http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj/css_53187,055560_no_plume.jpg

This will show NASA's Cassini spacecraft firing its retrorocket to enter
orbit around Saturn.