POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : volumetric textures? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  volumetric textures? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: daishi
Subject: volumetric textures?
Date: 25 Jun 2000 20:40:20
Message: <8F5EDB907dashixpressnet@204.213.191.228>
can anyone point me to a URL or anything for making a volumetric textures
in pov? I'm thinking white energy beams or something....I can make the 2d
texture without a problem, but it doesn't have any depth to it...

do I need to use media to do this? (any pointers if this is the case?)

if its media wouldn't that put the render time through the roof....maybe I
should consider not doing this?

thanx in advance

Post a reply to this message

"daishi" <das### [at] x-pressnet> wrote in message
| can anyone point me to a URL or anything for making a volumetric textures
| in pov? I'm thinking white energy beams or something....I can make the 2d
| texture without a problem, but it doesn't have any depth to it...
|
| do I need to use media to do this? (any pointers if this is the case?)
|
| if its media wouldn't that put the render time through the roof....maybe I
| should consider not doing this?

If you have, or get, MegaPov ( www.nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm ) then it's not
so very slow to use media.  I think that media is your only option since
objects tend to always show their edges.  Well, now that I think about it a
dense white fog inside a bunch of cones might look reasonable, just nothing
like media would look.
Example:

// BEGIN
global_settings {
        max_trace_level 10
}

light_source { 0 color rgb 1}
camera {
  location  <5,5,-15>
  angle 30
  look_at   <0,0,0>
}

sphere {0,1 hollow
        pigment {gradient y color_map {
                [0 color rgb <.5,.25,.125>]
                [1 color rgb <.125,.25,.5>]
        }}
       finish {ambient 1}
    scale 100
}

fog {
  fog_type 1
  distance 1
  color rgb 1
}

merge {
#declare N=10;
#declare sNx=seed(1234);
#declare sNy=seed(4321);
#declare sNz=seed(2341);
#while (N>0)
#declare rNx=rand(sNx);
#declare rNy=rand(sNy);
#declare rNz=rand(sNz);
cone {0,.1,y,.5
      pigment {rgbf 1}
    scale <1,5,1> rotate <rNx,rNy,rNz>*360
}
#declare N=N-1;
#end
 no_shadow inverse
}
// END

Not very useful as beams of light really.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

I use spotlights in media, you need to use fade_power and fade_distance
sometimes too. Media method3 in megaPov is fast when used for this purpose.

Mick

"daishi" <das### [at] x-pressnet> wrote in message
> can anyone point me to a URL or anything for making a volumetric textures
> in pov? I'm thinking white energy beams or something....I can make the 2d
> texture without a problem, but it doesn't have any depth to it...
>

> do I need to use media to do this? (any pointers if this is the case?)
>
> if its media wouldn't that put the render time through the roof....maybe I
> should consider not doing this?
>
> thanx in advance

Post a reply to this message