POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Splines Server Time
27 Jul 2024 16:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Splines (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Re: Splines
Date: 13 Jul 2024 09:10:06
Message: <66927cae@news.povray.org>
In fact, it's simple !

Each segment is defined by four points.

First segment :
0 : Point on curve
1 : Control point attached to point (0)
2 : Control point attached to the next point
3 : Next point

Second segment :
4 : Point on curve equal to (3) from previous segment
5 : Control point attached to point (4)
6 : Control point attached to the next point
7 : Next point

... and so on.

In the attached image, the points are numbered and named in accordance
with POV's built-in spline editor : "S. Cs. Ce. E.".
I haven't found what these names correspond to.

The complete curve is therefore the succession of segments placed
end to end.

In the image, each element of each segment has the same color :
Segment 1 - Point 0,1,2,3 - Color Green
Segment 2 - Point 4,5,6,7 - Color Magenta
Segment 3 - Point 8,9,10,11 - Color Blue

Disturbingly, the two pendulums of the same point are identified by two
distinct segments. Once you've got the hang of it, it's no longer a problem.

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'drawing_bezier_spline_editor.png' (38 KB)

Preview of image 'drawing_bezier_spline_editor.png'

kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> In the attached image, the points are numbered and named in accordance
> with POV's built-in spline editor : "S. Cs. Ce. E.".
> I haven't found what these names correspond to.

> POV's built-in spline editor (?)

"S. Cs. Ce. E.".
I haven't found what these names correspond to.

Start
Control (point) Start
Control (point) End
End

?

Or something like that.

I'm glad you got it all worked out.
Hopefully you have an interesting project to apply it to.

- BW

Post a reply to this message

On 2024-07-13 09:10 (-4), kurtz le pirate wrote:

> In the attached image, the points are numbered and named in accordance
> with POV's built-in spline editor : "S. Cs. Ce. E.".

POV has a built-in spline editor?  When did this happen?  Is it a
Windows thing?

Post a reply to this message

On 15/07/2024 19:04, Cousin Ricky wrote:

> POV has a built-in spline editor?  When did this happen?  Is it a
> Windows thing?

No, it's a Mac OSX feature.

--
Kurtz le pirate