POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : On the topic of github repos Server Time
28 Mar 2024 20:49:14 EDT (-0400)
  On the topic of github repos (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: On the topic of github repos
Date: 25 May 2021 09:12:31
Message: <60acf7bf$1@news.povray.org>
I haven't read 'useful macros' thread yet so please excuse me if that
thread already involves the following concept.

It's one that germinated when I was doing the server re-build and
thinking of ways to avoid having heaps and heaps of PHP code to maintain
stuff like a HOF, texture library, users and permissions for each, audit
trail, undo, copyright assignments and so forth (we don't have most of
those things, but if the community is to help manage the site we need
them, or something that achieves the same end).

Put another way, it's been said before that we ought to take more help
from regular newsgroup users; the problem has generally being writing
the infrastructure to allow e.g. editing of the HOF, links (though the
latter already has some support).

I like the idea of turning this on its head - instead of managing users
and permissions and merging content from multiple sources, it occurs to
me that we could just do it the other way around ... set up the repos on
github in a format that would be consumable (even if just by scraping
HTTP) that allows the povray.org server to reach-out and ingest it in
one step (and rinse lather repeat). github has the infrastructure to
manage the users, merges, history, and so forth, thus relieving us of
having to do it. It also makes it easier for someone to contribute (all
they need is a github account and an understanding of the way the repo
is laid out in order to contribute. No need to have to create an account
on povray.org and ask for edit permissions).

I bet we could find a way of handling the HOF this way. With a few
trusted community members in charge of QC and, accepting pull requests,
and maintaining meta-data when needed, the HOF would (from the point of
view of us) become self-managing (because I sure as heck don't do it now).

IF that works, well then there's the link collection, textures, what
else? What can you think up?

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message