POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Proposed VAngle alternative AngleBetweenVectors. (Attn: Tor Olav) Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Proposed VAngle alternative AngleBetweenVectors. (Attn: Tor Olav) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Proposed VAngle alternative AngleBetweenVectors. (Attn: Tor Olav)
Date: 11 May 2021 04:50:49
Message: <609a4569$1@news.povray.org>
OK. Been running both approaches within the c++ 'vectors.h' framework of
POV-Ray. Initial idea is both forms could be in one inbuilt function and
therefore "munction" too.

// Original macro approach:

#macro VAngle(V1, V2)
     acos(max(-1,min(1,vdot(vnormalize(V1),vnormalize(V2)))))
#end

// Tor Olav's proposal for better accuracy:
#macro AngleBetweenVectors(v1, v2)

     #local v1n = vnormalize(v1);
     #local v2n = vnormalize(v2);

     (2*atan2(vlength(v1n - v2n), vlength(v1n + v2n)))

#end // macro AngleBetweenVectors

-----------------------
Over millions of randomly generated vectors with component values in the
+-25.0 range.

Max dot value seen: +0.99999999991558441
Min dot value seen: -0.99999999134553685

Largest difference between approaches was 0.00000000000995055 (1e-11).
The vectors for this difference were:

<6.67080701406617393,
9.26765558974242509,
20.94262630955438453>

and

<7.10376197570178647,
9.86894333496174880,
22.30091129769613900>

Angles near zero and pi (near same-direction and nearly opposing)
showing the larger differences. The 0 angle case running larger for
differences than those near pi.

The performance difference in the context of all programming framework
VAngle to AngleBetweenVectors.

127.15 -> 164.98 ---> +29.75%  slower

Taking a specific measure of the overhead out of both times:

100.5  -> 138.33 ---> +37.64%  slower

I have still a few other tests in mind(1), but busy for a couple days -
starting now.

(1) - Different optimizations, etc.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 5/11/21 4:50 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> OK. Been running both approaches within the c++ 'vectors.h' framework of
> POV-Ray. Initial idea is both forms could be in one inbuilt function and
> therefore "munction" too.
>
> // Original macro approach:
>
> #macro VAngle(V1, V2)
>      acos(max(-1,min(1,vdot(vnormalize(V1),vnormalize(V2)))))
> #end
>

> // Tor Olav's proposal for better accuracy:
> #macro AngleBetweenVectors(v1, v2)
>
>      #local v1n = vnormalize(v1);
>      #local v2n = vnormalize(v2);
>
>      (2*atan2(vlength(v1n - v2n), vlength(v1n + v2n)))
>
> #end // macro AngleBetweenVectors

> I have still a few other tests in mind(1), but busy for a couple days -
> starting now.
>
> (1) - Different optimizations, etc.

All more complicated than expected and I'm not normally concise, but
I'll try...

I now have an inbuilt f_vangle() which supports both the old and Tor
Olav's method - and where both are faster when used within VAngle making
it now a "munction." I'll post more about f_vangle later in povray
unofficial patches.

---
Using more targeted random vectors near the noisy parts:

Largest diff 2 ver    0.00000003650005986  ~ 1e-7
Max dot prod sum     +1.00000000000000067  (3x DBL_EPSILON)
Min dot prod sum     -1.00000000000000067
Min abs dot prod sum  0.00000000000000000

---
With the results above, one might ask how did we not have domain errors
on the -1 side with all those acos(dot(... based macros we have?

Ans: It turns out the parser version of acos tests the inputs, clamps if
need be and issues a warning on each bad-domain call. This means any
math.inc clamping is really there to suppress the warning messages.

Why not a parse error over a warning is a good question - given warnings
can be ignored. It would be better for the user to learn and correct code.

---
The raw acos result and so the vm version of acos returns nan (not a
number) for bad inputs. Peripherally related compiler optimizations
related to the -ffastmath optimizations cause internal routines like
POV_ISINF, POV_ISNAN (std::isnan and the like too) to always return
false. And, POV_ISFINITE and IsFinite() to always return true. These are
not much used, but this caught me up as I was trying to use them to pick
up domain errors initially.

---
Related to this VAngle look we have in math.inc a macro called
VCos_Angle which I believe should be clamped and it now is in my version.

// Cosine of angle between V1 and V2
// #macro VCos_Angle(V1, V2) vdot(vnormalize(V1), vnormalize(V2)) #end
    // +14% over million calls to clamp, but we should clamp.
    #macro VCos_Angle(V1, V2)
        max(-1,min(1,vdot(vnormalize(V1),vnormalize(V2))))
    #end

---
By experiment only it looks like the old method gives us about 7
significant digits, Tor Olav's 12 significant digits. This is at
extremes, however.

---
I ran both approaches posted at top against over a million random vector
calls to measure the performance impact of the more accurate method.

One million calls to VAngle

9.65user 5.52system 0:15.70elapsed  <-- Original acos(dot..)macro.
10.01user 5.24system 0:15.79elapsed     with both min and max clip.
9.69user 5.35system 0:15.58elapsed
9.69user 5.36system 0:15.58elapsed
   "9.65 9.69 9.69"

One million calls to AngleBetweenVectors

11.21user 5.31system 0:17.05elapsed
11.35user 5.26system 0:17.14elapsed
11.57user 5.48system 0:17.57elapsed
11.43user 5.45system 0:17.42elapsed
   "11.21 11.35 11.43"                 29.03 -> 33.99 ---> +17.09%

Expect similar performance differences in any v3.8 based branch.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message