POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : slope with a non-constant vector Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  slope with a non-constant vector (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: David Given
Subject: slope with a non-constant vector
Date: 14 Dec 2013 18:53:38
Message: <52acef82$1@news.povray.org>
I'm fighting textures for my planet, with a fairly small amount of
success. The problem is that because I can't manually paint any object
(because the entire terrain is more-or-less procedural), I have to
somehow extract enough information from the model to texture it
interestingly. I'm finding it all looks very samey.

One tool that would be incredibly useful is slope patterns. That way I
can have the kind of vegetation change depending on the slope, with bare
rock on the steepest.

Unfortunately, slope's direction vector appears to be a constant. And
planets are round, which means gravity keeps changing...

Is there a way around this?

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────

Post a reply to this message

Am 15.12.2013 00:53, schrieb David Given:
> I'm fighting textures for my planet, with a fairly small amount of
> success. The problem is that because I can't manually paint any object
> (because the entire terrain is more-or-less procedural), I have to
> somehow extract enough information from the model to texture it
> interestingly. I'm finding it all looks very samey.
>
> One tool that would be incredibly useful is slope patterns. That way I
> can have the kind of vegetation change depending on the slope, with bare
> rock on the steepest.
>
> Unfortunately, slope's direction vector appears to be a constant. And
> planets are round, which means gravity keeps changing...
>
> Is there a way around this?

There is indeed; try the following syntax:

#version 3.7;
#declare PlanetCenter=<0,0,0>;
slope {
   point_at PlanetCenter