POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : split_union question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  split_union question (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: split_union question
Date: 12 Dec 2013 07:48:33
Message: <52a9b0a1$1@news.povray.org>
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Union#Split_Union

OK ... narrative says it's used with photons, but made a typo and
accidentally enabled on a tile floor (many tiles and grout) but I wasn't
using photons. The object count went down like expected, but render time
slowed to a crawl ... walked away from computer, and the usual 3 minute
render had only managed to get almost through the first row. Like I said
a mistake, and can't off the top of my head think of any use of
split_union /without/ photons ... could it be that split_union should
first check for photon usage then ignore the "on" setting if photons
aren't used?

Post a reply to this message

> OK ... narrative says it's used with photons, but made a typo and
> accidentally enabled on a tile floor (many tiles and grout) but I wasn't
> using photons. The object count went down like expected, but render time
> slowed to a crawl ... walked away from computer, and the usual 3 minute
> render had only managed to get almost through the first row. Like I said
> a mistake, and can't off the top of my head think of any use of
> split_union /without/ photons ... could it be that split_union should
> first check for photon usage then ignore the "on" setting if photons
> aren't used?

Normaly, unions are split into the individual component. It improve
bounding, making the scene render much faster. Each component have it's
own bounding box.

With split_union off, you are forced to evaluate the whole union, and
all of it's elements, for every ray that enter it's bounding box. You no
loner have the individual bounding boxes, bot only one large one.
You get something similar when you use merge or apply a manual bounding
on an union.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>> OK ... narrative says it's used with photons, but made a typo and
>> accidentally enabled on a tile floor (many tiles and grout) but I wasn't
>> using photons. The object count went down like expected, but render time
>> slowed to a crawl ... walked away from computer, and the usual 3 minute
>> render had only managed to get almost through the first row. Like I said
>> a mistake, and can't off the top of my head think of any use of
>> split_union /without/ photons ... could it be that split_union should
>> first check for photon usage then ignore the "on" setting if photons
>> aren't used?
>
> Normaly, unions are split into the individual component. It improve
> bounding, making the scene render much faster. Each component have it's
> own bounding box.
>
> With split_union off, you are forced to evaluate the whole union, and
> all of it's elements, for every ray that enter it's bounding box. You no
> loner have the individual bounding boxes, bot only one large one.
> You get something similar when you use merge or apply a manual bounding
> on an union.

Yes I understand the premise, but that really didn't answer the question
I posed (I don't think) ... is (or should) split_union be exclusive to
photon usage. That /is/ the only usage the doc passage cites.

Post a reply to this message

>>> OK ... narrative says it's used with photons, but made a typo and
>>> accidentally enabled on a tile floor (many tiles and grout) but I wasn't
>>> using photons. The object count went down like expected, but render time
>>> slowed to a crawl ... walked away from computer, and the usual 3 minute
>>> render had only managed to get almost through the first row. Like I said
>>> a mistake, and can't off the top of my head think of any use of
>>> split_union /without/ photons ... could it be that split_union should
>>> first check for photon usage then ignore the "on" setting if photons
>>> aren't used?
>>
>> Normaly, unions are split into the individual component. It improve
>> bounding, making the scene render much faster. Each component have it's
>> own bounding box.
>>
>> With split_union off, you are forced to evaluate the whole union, and
>> all of it's elements, for every ray that enter it's bounding box. You no
>> loner have the individual bounding boxes, bot only one large one.
>> You get something similar when you use merge or apply a manual bounding
>> on an union.
>
> Yes I understand the premise, but that really didn't answer the question
> I posed (I don't think) ... is (or should) split_union be exclusive to
> photon usage. That /is/ the only usage the doc passage cites.

Been the only place where it's mentioned don't mean that it can *only*
apply when photons are used. split_union is an object modifier, just
like no_image, no_shadow, no_reflection, no_radiosity or hollow that can
all take an optional on/off parameter.

The only difference been that split_union default to off while the above
modifiers default to on by their sole presence and off when absent.