POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : First unofficial patch of POV-Ray 3.7.0: UberPOV Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:43:25 EDT (-0400)
  First unofficial patch of POV-Ray 3.7.0: UberPOV (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: clipka
Subject: First unofficial patch of POV-Ray 3.7.0: UberPOV
Date: 17 Nov 2013 17:25:16
Message: <5289424c$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

Anyone interested in test-driving a few unofficial additions to POV-Ray
3.7.0, please have a look at https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV.

The most notable change is the addition of BLURRED REFLECTIONS, as well
as a stochastic anti-aliasing (and generic oversampling) mode to go
along with it.

Two other unrelated changes are also included:

One is the ability to read arbitrary plaintext lines from ASCII files.

The other applies to overexposed colors in non-HDRI output images; a new
option has been added to boost any non-overexposed color channel(s)
(effectively white-shifting such colors) to compensate for the clipping
of the overexposed channel(s), in an attempt to preserve brightness.

The features are documented in changes.txt.

A Windows binary is not available yet.

More is yet to come. An obvious next step will be to implement a Monte
Carlo-based replacement for radiosity (I guess you know where this is
heading), but a few odds & ends will also be thrown in, such as a
feature to determine the modification time of a file (so that you can
e.g. decide whether some auto-generated files might be outdated).

Please use povray.unofficial.patches for any feedback.

Post a reply to this message

> Anyone interested in test-driving a few unofficial additions to
> POV-Ray 3.7.0, please have a look at
> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV.
>
> The most notable change is the addition of BLURRED REFLECTIONS, as
> well as a stochastic anti-aliasing (and generic oversampling) mode to
> go along with it.

   How convenient that I had no time this weekend to continue with the
baubles scene... :)

P.S.: I was really missing the smell of an unofficial patch in the
morning...

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message

In povray.general clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> The most notable change is the addition of BLURRED REFLECTIONS

What are the advantages compared to the current trick (which can be
used to achieve images like http://iki.fi/warp/pics/Rubiks_Revenge2.jpg )?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message