POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity and transparency Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity and transparency (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: FlyerX
Subject: Radiosity and transparency
Date: 20 May 2013 22:45:19
Message: <519adfbf$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

POV-Ray 3.7 RC7 win64, Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

While doing some testing I found the an issue with transparency mapping,
radiosity, and a background sphere. I am not sure it is a bug.

Here is the basic scene: A sphere with a cap on top. The sphere is about
8 units diameter. The cap is slightly larger but not too tight to give
coincident surface problems. There is a HDR background on a 150 unit
diameter sphere to provide illumination. There is also a single point
light. Scene is rendered with radiosity. See picture below:

http://i.imgur.com/5dZ8qPn.png

Here is the scene archive with maps:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0MYeki9vLYYRU1xNmoxb2paeFk/edit?usp=sharing

File -> Download to get the whole archive.

If I put a transparency map on the red cap it works as it should. No
shadows from the transparent sections. Only the letters cast a shadow on
the blue sphere. See image below:

http://i.imgur.com/1wnnBqR.png

Sometimes I like the background scene for illumination but not as a
background image. So I usually turn off its visibility by using the
no_image flag on the background sphere. By turning off the image flag
the transparent areas on the cap now cast an unexpected radiosity shadow
on the blue sphere. Nothing else was changed. See render below:

http://i.imgur.com/l4RkMnG.png

This happens with all the radiosity settings I tried.

I can work around this by making the lighting sphere the largest and
covering it with another smaller sphere that has the background I want
with the no_radiosity flag on.

I do not know if this is a bug but I thought I mentioned here because of
the unexpected results.

FlyerX