POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Create heightmap from contour lines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Create heightmap from contour lines (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: scott
Subject: Create heightmap from contour lines
Date: 2 Jan 2013 05:13:40
Message: <50e40854$1@news.povray.org>
Not specifically for POV but I'm after a method to create a heightmap
from a contour map. All I have available is the map showing contours of
constant height, I have traced these and made them into arrays of points
but I can't figure out a way to generate a height map from this.

I tried already for each point interpolating between the two nearest
contours but it leads to not a very smooth result (jumps and sharp
angles). Does anyone know a better way to do this that would lead to a
smooth looking surface?

Post a reply to this message

> Not specifically for POV but I'm after a method to create a heightmap
> from a contour map. All I have available is the map showing contours of
> constant height, I have traced these and made them into arrays of points
> but I can't figure out a way to generate a height map from this.
>
> I tried already for each point interpolating between the two nearest
> contours but it leads to not a very smooth result (jumps and sharp
> angles). Does anyone know a better way to do this that would lead to a
> smooth looking surface?
Hi Scott,
While it's a tool still on my "I need to play with that tool someday"
list, perhaps give meshlab (meshlab.org) a try? It has features which
turn point clouds into meshes along with options for smoothing. The
input can be an ascii file one vertex/tuple per line.
Bill P.

Post a reply to this message