POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parallella supercomputer kickstarter nearing end (closes Oct 27 2012) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Parallella supercomputer kickstarter nearing end (closes Oct 27 2012) (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Parallella supercomputer kickstarter nearing end (closes Oct 27 2012)
Date: 25 Oct 2012 19:15:00
Message: <5089c7f4$1@news.povray.org>
The Parallela platform seems to have potential in the future for use with raytracing
as Adapteva are coming out with a double-precision version early in 2013. Given their
kickstarter is approaching its end date and they are still a little bit short of their
target we thought we'd mention this in case any POV users are interested in it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

Once the appropriate hardware is available the POV team will take a close look at it
to see if it's a suitable target for a port of our software.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> The Parallela platform seems to have potential in the future for use with raytracing
as Adapteva are coming out with
a double-precision version early in 2013. Given their kickstarter is approaching its
end date and they are still a litt
le bit short of their target we thought we'd mention this in case any POV users are
interested in it.

> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone
>
> Once the appropriate hardware is available the POV team will take a close look at it
to see if it's a suitable target
 for a port of our software.

> -- Chris

Hi Chris.

Parallel computing is now inevitable in the near future for number-crunching
apps. Parallela seems to be a promising solution. AFAIK, there are already some
other solutions involving specialized hardware (among them, the GPU-based CUDA).
What about those existing solutions available today?

Bruno.

Post a reply to this message

Am 26.10.2012 01:14, schrieb Chris Cason:
> The Parallela platform seems to have potential in the future for use with raytracing
> as Adapteva are coming out with a double-precision version early in 2013. Given
their
> kickstarter is approaching its end date and they are still a little bit short of
their
> target we thought we'd mention this in case any POV users are interested in it.
>
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone
>
> Once the appropriate hardware is available the POV team will take a close look at it
> to see if it's a suitable target for a port of our software.

 From what I've glimpsed from the specs, the individual "crunching
cores" can't directly access any memory worth mentioning - IIRC it's
less than a MByte per core. Other cores' memory appears to be
addressable as well, but with some latency, and it still gives you no
more than a few MByte.

To me that doesn't sound like an ideal architecture for POV-Ray (or
raytracing in general) - future improvements to CUDA or OpenCL sound
like a more promising thing.

Post a reply to this message

> cores" can't directly access any memory worth mentioning - IIRC it's
> less than a MByte per core.

640kb should be enough. :-P

--
Regards