POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : isosurface tutorial question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:28 EDT (-0400)
  isosurface tutorial question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: isosurface tutorial question
Date: 14 Apr 2011 17:32:32
Message: <4da767f0@news.povray.org>
I've been cleaning up the isosurface tutorial in the docs, mostly image
formats and some grammar and wording as I come across it ... anyway In
this section:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.2#Specifying_functions

I haven't the vaguest idea what this sentence is getting at: "With the
equation of a sphere x^2+y^2+z^2 = Threshold we get:" ... then code
example just below it ... threshold Threshold seems ALL wrong to me. The
threshold keyword expects a float value were as the above equation would
set Threshold to a vector ... correct? What am I missing here?

Post a reply to this message

> I've been cleaning up the isosurface tutorial in the docs, mostly image
> formats and some grammar and wording as I come across it ... anyway In
> this section:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.2#Specifying_functions
> I haven't the vaguest idea what this sentence is getting at: "With the
> equation of a sphere x^2+y^2+z^2 = Threshold we get:" ... then code
> example just below it ... threshold Threshold seems ALL wrong to me. The
> threshold keyword expects a float value were as the above equation would
> set Threshold to a vector ... correct? What am I missing here?

Here, "Threshold" is a previously declared user variable. It should be a
float.

The only thing would be to explicitely state that it must be a float.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>> I've been cleaning up the isosurface tutorial in the docs, mostly image
>> formats and some grammar and wording as I come across it ... anyway In
>> this section:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.2#Specifying_functions

>> I haven't the vaguest idea what this sentence is getting at: "With the
>> equation of a sphere x^2+y^2+z^2 = Threshold we get:" ... then code
>> example just below it ... threshold Threshold seems ALL wrong to me. The
>> threshold keyword expects a float value were as the above equation would
>> set Threshold to a vector ... correct? What am I missing here?
>>

> Here, "Threshold" is a previously declared user variable. It should be a
> float.
>
> The only thing would be to explicitely state that it must be a float.
>

> Alain

thanks ... just as I thought, that sentence is misleading