POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : light_group question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  light_group question (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: light_group question
Date: 3 Apr 2011 13:42:36
Message: <4d98b18c$1@news.povray.org>
Am I wrong to expect a light_source that's been included in a
light_group to interact with scattering media? Also I've noticed in the
scene stats that it's reporting one less light source when it's included
as part of a light_group ... wuz up wid dat?

Post a reply to this message

> Am I wrong to expect a light_source that's been included in a
> light_group to interact with scattering media? Also I've noticed in the
> scene stats that it's reporting one less light source when it's included
> as part of a light_group ... wuz up wid dat?

Light from a light_group will only illuminate scattering media that is
part of it's group, BUT, the absorbtion from such media will affect the
light even if it's not in the light_group.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>> Am I wrong to expect a light_source that's been included in a
>> light_group to interact with scattering media? Also I've noticed in the
>> scene stats that it's reporting one less light source when it's included
>> as part of a light_group ... wuz up wid dat?
>
> Light from a light_group will only illuminate scattering media that is
> part of it's group, BUT, the absorbtion from such media will affect the
> light even if it's not in the light_group.

ah ... thanks the one thing I didn't try. I didn't see anything in the
docs, so I'll double check and make an addition if I come up empty handed.

Post a reply to this message

On 04/04/2011 07:11 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 04/03/2011 06:55 PM, Alain wrote:

>>> Am I wrong to expect a light_source that's been included in a
>>> light_group to interact with scattering media? Also I've noticed in the
>>> scene stats that it's reporting one less light source when it's included
>>> as part of a light_group ... wuz up wid dat?
>>
>> Light from a light_group will only illuminate scattering media that is
>> part of it's group, BUT, the absorbtion from such media will affect the
>> light even if it's not in the light_group.
>
> ah ... thanks the one thing I didn't try. I didn't see anything in the
> docs, so I'll double check and make an addition if I come up empty handed.

Didn't see anything, so this section:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_6.1#Scattering

now has a referral (at the bottom) back to the Light Groups section were
I reworked that section to include the caveat.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Light from a light_group will only illuminate scattering media that is
>>> part of it's group, BUT, the absorbtion from such media will affect the
>>> light even if it's not in the light_group.
>>
>> ah ... thanks the one thing I didn't try. I didn't see anything in the
>> docs, so I'll double check and make an addition if I come up empty
>> handed.
>>

> Didn't see anything, so this section:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_6.1#Scattering
>

> now has a referral (at the bottom) back to the Light Groups section were
> I reworked that section to include the caveat.

There is nothing that say that specificaly, but, we do know that a
light_source don't illuminate ANYTHING outside of it's group. So, we can
deduct that it won't illuminate any scattering media that is not
included in the group.

Likewise, if some object is between the grouped light_source and an
object from the group, that outside object WILL cast a shadow on the
object in the group.
 From that, we can deduct that both absorbing media and scattering media
will also atenuate the light, and cause some shadowing.

Again, the documentation don't mention it explicitely in relation with
media, but consticency demands it to be that way.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>>> ah ... thanks the one thing I didn't try. I didn't see anything in the
>>> docs, so I'll double check and make an addition if I come up empty
>>> handed.
>>>

>> Didn't see anything, so this section:
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_6.1#Scattering
>>

>> now has a referral (at the bottom) back to the Light Groups section were
>> I reworked that section to include the caveat.
>
> There is nothing that say that specificaly, but, we do know that a
> light_source don't illuminate ANYTHING outside of it's group. So, we can
> deduct that it won't illuminate any scattering media that is not
> included in the group.
>
> Likewise, if some object is between the grouped light_source and an
> object from the group, that outside object WILL cast a shadow on the
> object in the group.
>  From that, we can deduct that both absorbing media and scattering media
> will also atenuate the light, and cause some shadowing.
>
> Again, the documentation don't mention it explicitely in relation with
> media, but consticency demands it to be that way.

I guess it just wasn't that obvious to me at first, so I guess there's
now harm in the addition I've made ... LOL no need to rub it in ;-)