POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : texture map question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  texture map question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: texture map question
Date: 16 Feb 2011 12:26:49
Message: <4d5c08d9@news.povray.org>
Shouldn't you be able to specify a default finish that would apply to
each entry of a texture map ...  I have a texture map that has almost a
dozen entries, but only want to tweak a couple of the entries. The rest
I want to make ALL the same finish. Default finish .... right? No syntax
errors ... just not working as I'd expect :-(

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> Shouldn't you be able to specify a default finish that would apply to
> each entry of a texture map ...  I have a texture map that has almost a
> dozen entries, but only want to tweak a couple of the entries. The rest
> I want to make ALL the same finish. Default finish .... right? No syntax
> errors ... just not working as I'd expect :-(

Yes, each object automatically uses the default texture unless you override it
(or some part of it, e.g., the finish) in your object declaration.

Try declaring a named finish and use that as the finish in any texture map
entries that should use default and see if that works as expected.

www.McGregorFineArt.com

Post a reply to this message

On 02/16/2011 01:59 PM, Robert McGregor wrote:
> Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
>> Shouldn't you be able to specify a default finish that would apply to
>> each entry of a texture map ...  I have a texture map that has almost a
>> dozen entries, but only want to tweak a couple of the entries. The rest
>> I want to make ALL the same finish. Default finish .... right? No syntax
>> errors ... just not working as I'd expect :-(
>
> Yes, each object automatically uses the default texture unless you override it
> (or some part of it, e.g., the finish) in your object declaration.
>
> Try declaring a named finish and use that as the finish in any texture map
> entries that should use default and see if that works as expected.

at your suggestion I went through a little exercise of what works and
what wasn't and discovered a self inflicted wound ... don't you just
hate it when that happens (goes quietly back into the corner and cleans
up sloppy code)

Post a reply to this message

On 16/02/2011 6:36 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> don't you just
> hate it when that happens (goes quietly back into the corner and cleans
> up sloppy code)

Oh! Yes! ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 16/02/2011 6:36 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> don't you just
>> hate it when that happens (goes quietly back into the corner and cleans
>> up sloppy code)
>
> Oh! Yes! ;-)

<sigh> indeed...;-)

Thomas