POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : shadowless lights and lack of highlights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  shadowless lights and lack of highlights (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: shadowless lights and lack of highlights
Date: 20 Jan 2011 19:34:04
Message: <4d38d47c$1@news.povray.org>
This is something I've been wondering for a long time.  The docs say:
"Also note that shadowless lights will not cause highlights on the
illuminated objects."

Now, I understand shadowless lights are meant to be used as fill lights,
and having fill lights cause highlights is often not desired, but there
are situations (and I seem to run into them a lot) where a
highlight-causing-shadowless-light_source would be quite useful.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate way of turning off
highlights for a light_source, independant of it's (lack of) casting
shadows?

cu!
--
ZK

Post a reply to this message

Zeger Knaepen <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate way of turning off
> highlights for a light_source, independant of it's (lack of) casting
> shadows?

  Or, to remain backwards-compatible, a way to turn highlights on for a
shadowless light source.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Zeger Knaepen<zeg### [at] povplacecom>  wrote:
>> Wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate way of turning off
>> highlights for a light_source, independant of it's (lack of) casting
>> shadows?
>
>    Or, to remain backwards-compatible, a way to turn highlights on for a
> shadowless light source.

I was thinking the same just after I clicked "Send" :)