POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Make a hollow object solid Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:07 EDT (-0400)
  Make a hollow object solid (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Dre
Subject: Make a hollow object solid
Date: 16 Dec 2010 21:03:21
Message: <4d0ac4e9@news.povray.org>
Hi, is there an easy way to make a hollow object solid?

I have some poser imported objects that are hollow.

I would like to test to see if vectors are inside the object, but its not
working and I believe that its because the object is hollow.

Unfortunately I cant work out how to make the object a solid....

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, is there an easy way to make a hollow object solid?
>
> I have some poser imported objects that are hollow.
>
> I would like to test to see if vectors are inside the object, but its not
> working and I believe that its because the object is hollow.
>
> Unfortunately I cant work out how to make the object a solid....
>
> Cheers Dre

If the mesh is closed and the "inside_vector" is specified, POV treats
it as a solid unless the "hollow" keyword is explicitly provided.
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_4.2#Solid_Mesh

I would assume that the problem lies in 'inside_vector' not being defined.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 17 Dec 2010 23:04:46
Message: <4d0c32de@news.povray.org>

> Hi, is there an easy way to make a hollow object solid?
>
> I have some poser imported objects that are hollow.
>
> I would like to test to see if vectors are inside the object, but its not
> working and I believe that its because the object is hollow.
>
> Unfortunately I cant work out how to make the object a solid....
>
> Cheers Dre

Poser models are mesh. Normaly, they are only a surface with no
thickness, but that can be changed.

You need to provide an inside_vector to your mesh object. It will work
even if the mesh is not perfectly closed, but, in that case, you can get
some eroneous results.
Syntax: inside_vector Direction
Some samples:
inside_vector y
inside_vector 1
inside_vector<1, 0.01, 0.5>

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Dre
Date: 19 Dec 2010 17:45:56
Message: <4d0e8b24$1@news.povray.org>
"CShake" <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> On 2010-12-16 21:03, Dre wrote:
>> Hi, is there an easy way to make a hollow object solid?
>>
>> I have some poser imported objects that are hollow.
>>
>> I would like to test to see if vectors are inside the object, but its not
>> working and I believe that its because the object is hollow.
>>
>> Unfortunately I cant work out how to make the object a solid....
>>
>> Cheers Dre
>>

> If the mesh is closed and the "inside_vector" is specified, POV treats it
> as a solid unless the "hollow" keyword is explicitly provided.
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_4.2#Solid_Mesh
>
> I would assume that the problem lies in 'inside_vector' not being defined.

Hi, yes you are right, there is no inside_vector specified.

Looks like I need to read up on UV stuff as I've never played with it
before!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

From: Dre
Date: 19 Dec 2010 17:46:48
Message: <4d0e8b58$1@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote in message

>> Hi, is there an easy way to make a hollow object solid?
>>
>> I have some poser imported objects that are hollow.
>>
>> I would like to test to see if vectors are inside the object, but its not
>> working and I believe that its because the object is hollow.
>>
>> Unfortunately I cant work out how to make the object a solid....
>>
>> Cheers Dre
>>

> Poser models are mesh. Normaly, they are only a surface with no thickness,
> but that can be changed.
>
> You need to provide an inside_vector to your mesh object. It will work
> even if the mesh is not perfectly closed, but, in that case, you can get
> some eroneous results.
> Syntax: inside_vector Direction
> Some samples:
> inside_vector y
> inside_vector 1
> inside_vector<1, 0.01, 0.5>
>

> Alain

Yep thats exactly my problem.  Thanks for the headups, I'm going to read up
on UV mapping now...

Cheers Dre