POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Convert string identifier to object name Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Convert string identifier to object name (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Convert string identifier to object name
Date: 2 Nov 2009 04:38:52
Message: <4aeea8ac$1@news.povray.org>
This is a bit similar to SharkD's question above, but I wonder if it is
possible.

What I want to do is the following:

#local PoserName = "Beggar_";
#include concat(PoserName, "POV_geom.inc")
#local ObjName = object {PoserName}

The first two line of code work correctly, but the third one generates a
parse error of course, as a string identifier instead of an object is found.
How can I make this work?

--
All the best,

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> This is a bit similar to SharkD's question above, but I wonder if it is
> possible.
>
> What I want to do is the following:
>
> #local PoserName = "Beggar_";
> #include concat(PoserName, "POV_geom.inc")
> #local ObjName = object {PoserName}
>
> The first two line of code work correctly, but the third one generates a
> parse error of course, as a string identifier instead of an object is found.
> How can I make this work?

similar problem with wanting to include a frame number in the name of
the object (in PovRay) until I saw that you can define in PoseRay what
you want to name the object.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> This is a bit similar to SharkD's question above, but I wonder if it is
> possible.
>
> What I want to do is the following:
>
> #local PoserName = "Beggar_";
> #include concat(PoserName, "POV_geom.inc")
> #local ObjName = object {PoserName}
>
> The first two line of code work correctly, but the third one generates a
> parse error of course, as a string identifier instead of an object is
> found. How can I make this work?
>
> --
> All the best,
>
> Thomas

I assume that an object called 'Beggar_' is declared within the include
file?
If so you could use the Parse_String(String) macro. This macro takes a
string, writes it to a file, and then includes that file, effectively
evaluating the string, so:

#include "strings.inc"
Parse_String(concat("object {",PoserName,"}"))

should do it. Warning. I didn't test this for syntax errors.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message