POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tilable textures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Tilable textures (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: SharkD
Subject: Tilable textures
Date: 15 Aug 2009 02:53:00
Message: <4a865b4c$1@news.povray.org>
I may have asked this before, but what are some good ways to create 2D
textures that tile? A tiling desktop background is a common (maybe not
so much these days...) example.

Secondly (and this is the more advanced part), how might I turn tiling
on and off for a particular direction? What I really want to do is
create square terrain tiles (for a game) that have 16 possible "states"
based on whether or not a tile has a neighbor.

For example, a tile with four neighbors would join nicely on all four
sides. A tile with only three neighbors would be "closed" on one side.

Here's are the 16 possible "states":

   o        o        x        x
o o o    x o o    o o o    x o o
   o        o        o        o

   o        o        x        x
o o x    x o x    o o x    x o x
   o        o        o        x

   o        o        x        x
o o o    x o o    o o o    x o o
   x        x        x        x

   o        o        x        x
o o x    x o x    o o x    x o x
   x        x        x        x

The "o" in the middle of each diagram is the tile in the center. The
rest are its neighbors.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I may have asked this before, but what are some good ways to create 2D
> textures that tile?

In 2D space you can use diamond tiling:

#declare repeatable_pattern=
pigment{
  cylindrical rotate x*90 scale 1.00
  pigment_map{
   [0 rgb 0]
   [1 crackle scale .5]
  }
}

plane{z,0
  pigment{
   average
   pigment_map{
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate -x]
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate x]
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate -y]
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate y]
   }
   translate(x+y)
   warp{repeat x*2}
   warp{repeat y*2}
  }
}

or square tiling:

#declare repeatable_pattern=
pigment{
  cylindrical rotate x*90 scale 1.50
  pigment_map{
   [0 rgb 0]
   [1 crackle scale .5]
  }
}

plane{z,0
  pigment{
   average
   pigment_map{
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate<-1,-1,0>]
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate<1,-1,0>]
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate<-1,1,0>]
    [1 repeatable_pattern translate<1,1,0>]
   }
   translate(x+y)
   warp{repeat x*2}
   warp{repeat y*2}
  }
}

where "repeatable_pattern" is a pigment you wish to use in excess.

> Secondly (and this is the more advanced part), how might I turn tiling
> on and off for a particular direction?

I think perhaps you'll be keeping track of where the break in repetition
occurs, so for a tile which repeats using diamond tiling, with a break
in repetition to the right:

  pigment{
   average
   pigment_map{