POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Albedo in PoV-Ray? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Albedo in PoV-Ray? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Albedo in PoV-Ray?
Date: 6 May 2009 05:05:54
Message: <4a0152f2$1@news.povray.org>
High!

During the process of getting together the astronomical data for my
Solar System project ("PoVSolar"), I usually also find albedo values for
the various planetary objects.

Now my question: as the albedo value gives the percentage of incoming
light reflected from a body, is it correct to assume that HSL brightness
values directly correspond to albedo (I know that there are different
ways to compute astronomical albedo, but for the time being, I would
stick to the basic definition), so that a dark grey asteroid with an
albedo of 0.04 would be best modeled as rgb 0.04? (Yes, I've also
already heard of a PoV macro to convert HSL vectors into RGB vectors,
within colors.inc, if I remember correctly...)

How can I adjust the overall (=average) brightness of a bitmap texture
to a certain value? Can it be done within PoV-Ray or should I better
relay on GIMP to do this?

See you in Khyberspace!

Now playing: I've Been Losing You, Extended Mix (a-ha)

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

>During the process of getting together the astronomical data for my
>Solar System project ("PoVSolar"), I usually also find albedo values
>for the various planetary objects.
>
>Now my question: as the albedo value gives the percentage of incoming
>light reflected from a body, is it correct to assume that HSL
>brightness values directly correspond to albedo (I know that there are
>different ways to compute astronomical albedo, but for the time being,
>I would stick to the basic definition), so that a dark grey asteroid
>with an albedo of 0.04 would be best modeled as rgb 0.04? (Yes, I've
>also already heard of a PoV macro to convert HSL vectors into RGB
>vectors, within colors.inc, if I remember correctly...)
>
>How can I adjust the overall (=average) brightness of a bitmap texture
>to a certain value? Can it be done within PoV-Ray or should I better
>relay on GIMP to do this?

Using rgb 0.04 is fine if the object has zero saturation.

For non-grey colours, the albedo is probably best represented by .gray
(watch out for that American spelling, the UK English spelling doesn't
work) which returns a value where the three components are weighted in a
way that corresponds to the way the human eye responds. As you say,
there are various definitions of albedo, but using the response of the
human eye is a reasonable one to go with.

   #declare C = rgb <0.5,0.3,0.2>;

then C.gray, the albedo of that colour, returns 0.348

If you have an object that has the same hue and saturation as C but has
albedo A, then you can write

   pigment {C*A/C.gray}

--
Mike Williams