POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 16bit heightfield editor? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:12:40 EDT (-0400)
  16bit heightfield editor? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: 16bit heightfield editor?
Date: 19 Apr 2009 08:25:44
Message: <49eb1848$1@news.povray.org>
High!

To improve the small moons and asteroids in my PoVSolar project
(currently, they look pretty "greebly"), I tried to reactivate my old
copy of HLA (based on John Beale's HF-Lab, back in the 20th century...)
- but found out that it does not run anymore under Windows XP (and I
could not get dosemu for Linux installed, but that is quite another cup
of tea).

So I would like to know whether there are other heightfield tools
available which are capable of editing 16bit POV-Ray heightfields - most
important to me would be a blurring function!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann nous illumina en ce 2009-04-19 08:25 -->
> High!
>
> To improve the small moons and asteroids in my PoVSolar project
> (currently, they look pretty "greebly"), I tried to reactivate my old
> copy of HLA (based on John Beale's HF-Lab, back in the 20th century...)
> - but found out that it does not run anymore under Windows XP (and I
> could not get dosemu for Linux installed, but that is quite another cup
> of tea).
>
> So I would like to know whether there are other heightfield tools
> available which are capable of editing 16bit POV-Ray heightfields - most
> important to me would be a blurring function!
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

In XP, you have compatibility mode. It allows you to run a programm in older
environments, like Win 95, Win 98/ME,Win NT (Sp 4) or Win 2000.
Just create a short cut for it, right click to get it's properties. Select the
Compatibility tab and chose the environment you want.

--
Alain
Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to

Post a reply to this message

> In XP, you have compatibility mode. It allows you to run a programm in
> older environments, like Win 95, Win 98/ME,Win NT (Sp 4) or Win 2000.
> Just create a short cut for it, right click to get it's properties.
> Select the Compatibility tab and chose the environment you want.

How can I access this compatibility mode?

Interesting topic... albeit I meanwhile installed DOSbox on my Linux
system, so I can run HLA on that emulation!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Dancing Girls (Nik Kershaw)

Post a reply to this message

>> In XP, you have compatibility mode. It allows you to run a programm in
>> older environments, like Win 95, Win 98/ME,Win NT (Sp 4) or Win 2000.
>> Just create a short cut for it, right click to get it's properties.
>> Select the Compatibility tab and chose the environment you want.
>
> How can I access this compatibility mode?

Just read the 2 lines above your question, it is clearly explained :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 25 Apr 2009 12:07:13
Message: <49f33531$1@news.povray.org>

"High" means "hoch" in our German language. For greetings, use "Hi".   :-)

> High!
>
> To improve the small moons and asteroids in my PoVSolar project
> (currently, they look pretty "greebly"), I tried to reactivate my old copy
> of HLA (based on John Beale's HF-Lab, back in the 20th century...) - but
> found out that it does not run anymore under Windows XP (and I could not
> get dosemu for Linux installed, but that is quite another cup of tea).
>
> So I would like to know whether there are other heightfield tools
> available which are capable of editing 16bit POV-Ray heightfields - most
> important to me would be a blurring function!
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 29 Apr 2009 03:09:59
Message: <49f7fd47$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Sven Littkowski wrote:

> "High" means "hoch" in our German language. For greetings, use "Hi".   :-)

Of course, I know this... but by using "High" instead, I want to
indicate that I'm constantly turned on by PoV-Ray! ;-)

See you on www.khyberspace.de!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 1 May 2009 16:05:32
Message: <49fb560c@news.povray.org>
Ah, okay. How would I have know that..?   :-)

Greetings,

Sven

> High!
>
> Sven Littkowski wrote:

>> "High" means "hoch" in our German language. For greetings, use "Hi".
>> :-)
>
> Of course, I know this... but by using "High" instead, I want to indicate
> that I'm constantly turned on by PoV-Ray! ;-)
>
> See you on www.khyberspace.de!
>
> Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 27 May 2009 14:10:30
Message: <4A1D822B.5040209@joplin.com>
Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann wrote:
> So I would like to know whether there are other heightfield tools
> available which are capable of editing 16bit POV-Ray heightfields - most
> important to me would be a blurring function!
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

This might a little late, But I've writen a few Win programs that deal
with height feilds.
  You can find them here: http://leroywhetstone.s5.com/Win_Programs.html