POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Snowmacro: Good news and final errors. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Snowmacro: Good news and final errors. (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Subject: Snowmacro: Good news and final errors.
Date: 27 Feb 2009 05:30:36
Message: <49a7c0cc$1@news.povray.org>
Regarding the snow/icicle macro, good news:
1) Fixed icicles not blobbing together
2) Fixed icicles not blobbing with the snow
3) Optimized the random vector generator to target min/max extent
4) Fixed icicles growing through the target object
5) Continuing to extract segments of code which perform specific functions
into their own reusable macros...lots more work to be done there.

ToDo:
1) Make blob scale more object appropriate with less user intervention
2) Decrease failed tests on objects such as trees and quartics
3) Implement clamped random "y" scaling on blobs
4) Create a "test mode" to allow users to visualize snow/ice before final
render
5) Create more modes, such as snow only, icicle only, or cakeicing

There is obviously still a good bit of work to be done in general before
this is truly worthy of release, but most of the big issues are gone now.

I would like to thank everyone for their assistance thusfar; you have taught
me many things, I appreciate that, and your patience. You will all get
credit in the final release. :-)

---

I have a small problem that I know is another headslapper, and could use a
bit of help in its resolution. I've been looking at it too long to see the
answer though. The file is in p.t.s-f (post "final errors"), and I will be
referencing line numbers in it. It looks like it got garbled somehow, so I
attached the actual pov file to that post in response.

If you look at lines 76 and 77, you see that I fill the array with valid
vectors on 76, and have a test sphere on 77. The test sphere goes generally
in the right places when used there, but only one instance of it appears
when I use the vectors on line 136. To see what I am talking about, render
it as is, then comment line 77 and uncomment the blob starting on 121, but
leave out the "i" loop, and render. See? Only one instance (that crap is not
what the icicles are going to look like).

The way I'm making icicles is to take an initial valid vector obtained in
the first loop (line 63) and decrementing the "y" vector using the second
loop (line 69). Do I need a 2d array? I think I'm only filling the array
with a single instance of an "icicle", as perhaps each loop of "k"
overwrites the previous line 76 array entries, which is why the test sphere
on 77 behaves properly, but anything using the array on 136 does not. Maybe
Array[i][k] on 76 would fix this?

I've tried a few methods of doing that, which all failed, so I'm obviously
doing it wrong, if thats even the solution.

I am tired and I apologize for my horrid, painfully parenthetical manner of
delineation. O_o

I welcome any other optimizations you might find appropriate.

ian

Post a reply to this message

I still can't nail down what I've done wrong. I know its just a matter of
looping properly, but I can't get it right.

In other news, I've made an icicle out of blobbing 1/2 of a quartic, and it
looks rather nice, so I may try that too.

But please, if anyone knows why this is doing what it is, tell me. I'm sooo
close, but stuck.

ian