POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : limited exclusion/inclusion object placment..needs improvement Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:29:17 EDT (-0400)
  limited exclusion/inclusion object placment..needs improvement (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Subject: limited exclusion/inclusion object placment..needs improvement
Date: 13 Feb 2009 00:44:27
Message: <499508bb$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

Lets assume we have an area (or areas) of undefined shape, and we wish to
place objects everywhere *but* that spot in 3 dimensions or two.

Would this normally be accomplished by some horrific inversion of the
Trace() function, or calls to a min/max_extent vector array macro for each
object to be tested against?
It seems that it would be awful to test every vector against every other
vector in two or more large arrays...so that can't be the right way to do
it...

In a more simple scenario if we knew that the space we wished to (or to NOT)
populate was everywhere between <-5,-5,-5> and <5,5,5>, I was able to come
up with the folowing:
  #if (((vectorArray[i].x <= vectorB.x) & (vectorArray[i].x >= vectorA.x)) &
       ((vectorArray[i].y <= vectorB.y) & (vectorArray[i].y >= vectorA.y)) &
       ((vectorArray[i].z <= vectorB.z) & (vectorArray[i].z >= vectorA.z)))

This does NOT take mixed sign vectors well at all, but works nicely with
everything else that I have tested it with.

How can I fix that? Does it involve breaking the if condition up into
seperate blocks or something?

I've posted the source in p.t.s-f and image in p.b.i.
Its nothing glorious, just something that hit me while drinking my Bass Ale
earlier...

Does anyone else have any ideas? There has to be a better way.

ian

Post a reply to this message

>Lets assume we have an area (or areas) of undefined shape, and we wish to
>place objects everywhere *but* that spot in 3 dimensions or two.
>
>Would this normally be accomplished by some horrific inversion of the
>Trace() function, or calls to a min/max_extent vector array macro for each
>object to be tested against?
>It seems that it would be awful to test every vector against every other
>vector in two or more large arrays...so that can't be the right way to do
>it...
>
>In a more simple scenario if we knew that the space we wished to (or to NOT)
>populate was everywhere between <-5,-5,-5> and <5,5,5>, I was able to come
>up with the folowing:
>  #if (((vectorArray[i].x <= vectorB.x) & (vectorArray[i].x >= vectorA.x)) &
>       ((vectorArray[i].y <= vectorB.y) & (vectorArray[i].y >= vectorA.y)) &
>       ((vectorArray[i].z <= vectorB.z) & (vectorArray[i].z >= vectorA.z)))
>
>This does NOT take mixed sign vectors well at all, but works nicely with
>everything else that I have tested it with.
>
>How can I fix that? Does it involve breaking the if condition up into
>seperate blocks or something?
>
>I've posted the source in p.t.s-f and image in p.b.i.
>Its nothing glorious, just something that hit me while drinking my Bass Ale
>earlier...
>
>Does anyone else have any ideas? There has to be a better way.

You can do it with inside() as long as you can create a closed object
that fits the space.

#declare Object = sphere{0,1.1}
#declare R = seed(123);
#declare N=0;
#while (N<2000)
   #declare Point = <rand(R)*2-1,rand(R)*2-1,rand(R)*2-1>;

   #if (inside(Object,Point))
     // do nothing
   #else
     sphere {Point,0.1 pigment {rgbt <1,1,1,0.9>}}
   #end

   #declare N=N+1;
#end

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

Hmm...I tried the inside statement, but it gave unexpected results and
rendered slowly when used with semi-complicated objects.

Do min_extent and max_extent produce a cube/bounding box size, or are they
more form fitting?

ian

news:zpJ### [at] econymdemoncouk...

Post a reply to this message