POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh2 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  mesh2 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Wijnand Nijs
Subject: mesh2
Date: 1 Jan 2009 10:05:44
Message: <495cdbc8$1@news.povray.org>
First the best wishes for 2009.

Is it with mesh2 objects possible to give the out-site en the in-site
different textures? What can I do with the texture_list?

Thanks...
Wijnand Nijs

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: mesh2
Date: 1 Jan 2009 11:59:57
Message: <495cf68d$1@news.povray.org>
"Wijnand Nijs" <w.n### [at] alf4alldemonnl> wrote in message
> First the best wishes for 2009.
>
> Is it with mesh2 objects possible to give the out-site en the in-site
> different textures? What can I do with the texture_list?

Yes, you can give the inside and outside of a POV-Ray object different
textures. By default they're the same, but you can use the
'interior_texture'  object modifier to specify a different texture for the
interior surfaces. Your mesh2 will need to have consistently defined
normals.

The texture_list enables you to specify different textures for use in the
mesh2 object. Each texture gets an index that can be used in the
face_indices section to assign a different texture to the different faces in
the mesh2 object, or optionally different textures for each of the vertices
of each face. From the help: "To specify a texture for an individual mesh
triangle, specify a single integer texture index following the face-index
vector for that triangle. To specify three textures for vertex-texture
interpolation, specify three integer texture indices (separated by commas)
following the face-index vector for that triangle."

I don't know how the two things work together if both are specified on the
same mesh2 object (I've never tried that). I would guess that you get a
single interior texture and that it would use the texture_list textures for
the outside.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

Wijnand Nijs <w.n### [at] alf4alldemonnl> wrote:
> First the best wishes for 2009.
>
> Is it with mesh2 objects possible to give the out-site en the in-site
> different textures? What can I do with the texture_list?

IIRC this is possible if your mesh does not make use of the texture_list, so
that you specify a single texture for the whole mesh instead. However, if
someone knows how to get this into the texture_list, I'd be glad to hear about
it.

Post a reply to this message

Thanks Chris and Clipka. For test results see p.b.images.

Chris B schreef:

> "Wijnand Nijs" <w.n### [at] alf4alldemonnl> wrote in message
>> First the best wishes for 2009.
>>
>> Is it with mesh2 objects possible to give the out-site en the in-site
>> different textures? What can I do with the texture_list?
>
> Yes, you can give the inside and outside of a POV-Ray object different
> textures. By default they're the same, but you can use the
> 'interior_texture'  object modifier to specify a different texture for
> the interior surfaces. Your mesh2 will need to have consistently defined
> normals.
>
> The texture_list enables you to specify different textures for use in
> the mesh2 object. Each texture gets an index that can be used in the
> face_indices section to assign a different texture to the different
> faces in the mesh2 object, or optionally different textures for each of
> the vertices of each face. From the help: "To specify a texture for an
> individual mesh triangle, specify a single integer texture index
> following the face-index vector for that triangle. To specify three
> textures for vertex-texture interpolation, specify three integer texture
> indices (separated by commas) following the face-index vector for that
> triangle."
>
> I don't know how the two things work together if both are specified on
> the same mesh2 object (I've never tried that). I would guess that you
> get a single interior texture and that it would use the texture_list
> textures for the outside.
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

> Wijnand Nijs <w.n### [at] alf4alldemonnl> wrote:
>> First the best wishes for 2009.
>>
>> Is it with mesh2 objects possible to give the out-site en the in-site
>> different textures? What can I do with the texture_list?
>
> IIRC this is possible if your mesh does not make use of the texture_list,
> so
> that you specify a single texture for the whole mesh instead. However, if
> someone knows how to get this into the texture_list, I'd be glad to hear
> about
> it.

The code sample I've added to the thread in povray.binaries.images uses
both, but I don't see any way of getting interior textures to map to the
texture_list inside the mesh2 definition.