POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-ray (text) editor for beginners Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  POV-ray (text) editor for beginners (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Alessio Sangalli
Subject: POV-ray (text) editor for beginners
Date: 13 Nov 2008 20:12:24
Message: <491cd078@news.povray.org>
Hi, every night before going to bed I teach a little bit of POV-ray to
my wife.

The most annoying problem is that everytime she wants to see the scene
she has to save, go to the shell, issue the povray command with some
(for her) cryptic options and then open up an image viewer (or
imagemagick's "display") to see the result. For an animation, it's even
more complicated.

Because my target here is not teach her how to script in bash but how to
write scenes in POV-ray, I would feel much better if there was an
"integrated" editor for POV-ray with buttons to select options and start
rendering.

Any suggestion? PS I do *not* want a CAD-like or "visual" editor...

bye
as

Post a reply to this message

Alessio Sangalli <ale### [at] manowebcom> wrote:
> Hi, every night before going to bed I teach a little bit of POV-ray to
> my wife.
>
> The most annoying problem is that everytime she wants to see the scene
> she has to save, go to the shell, issue the povray command with some
> (for her) cryptic options and then open up an image viewer (or
> imagemagick's "display") to see the result. For an animation, it's even
> more complicated.
>
> Because my target here is not teach her how to script in bash but how to
> write scenes in POV-ray, I would feel much better if there was an
> "integrated" editor for POV-ray with buttons to select options and start
> rendering.
>
> Any suggestion? PS I do *not* want a CAD-like or "visual" editor...
>
> bye
> as

Are you using Windows?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Alessio Sangalli <ale### [at] manowebcom> wrote:
>> Hi, every night before going to bed I teach a little bit of POV-ray to
>> my wife.
>>
>> The most annoying problem is that everytime she wants to see the scene
>> she has to save, go to the shell, issue the povray command with some
>> (for her) cryptic options and then open up an image viewer (or
>> imagemagick's "display") to see the result. For an animation, it's even
>> more complicated.
>>
>> Because my target here is not teach her how to script in bash but how to
>> write scenes in POV-ray, I would feel much better if there was an
>> "integrated" editor for POV-ray with buttons to select options and start
>> rendering.
>>
>> Any suggestion? PS I do *not* want a CAD-like or "visual" editor...
>>
>> bye
>> as
>
> Are you using Windows?
>
> -Mike

From the BASH comment I assume he's in Linux of some sort.
You could try the windows version under Wine, I'm not sure
but it probably would work.
There's also POVclipse... that's a POV syntax version of Eclipse,
you could give that a try.

Post a reply to this message