POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Waves in arches.pov Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Waves in arches.pov (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Alessio Sangalli
Subject: Waves in arches.pov
Date: 5 Sep 2008 04:13:36
Message: <48c0ea30$1@news.povray.org>
Hi, I would you "animate" the waves in arches.pov to simulate a 'live' sea?

bye
Alessio

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: Waves in arches.pov
Date: 5 Sep 2008 05:56:21
Message: <48c10245$1@news.povray.org>
"Alessio Sangalli" <ale### [at] manowebcom> wrote in message
> Hi, I would you "animate" the waves in arches.pov to simulate a 'live'
> sea?
>
> bye
> Alessio

One very simple technique is to translate the texture at an angle 'into' the
surface based on the clock variable.
For example, with the plane in Dan Farmers arches.pov you can add a
translation into the end of the normal definition:

// Define the ocean surface
plane { y, -10.0
   texture {
      T_Chrome_2D
      normal {
         waves 0.05
         frequency 5000.0
         scale 3000.0
         translate <0.1,-5,0.15>*clock
      }
   }
}

This uses a slightly different section of the 3D waves pattern for each
frame, thereby animating the surface normal.

If you need a cyclic animation with a repeating cycle of images then you can
also (with a bit of fiddling around) use a rotation to achieve similar
results but bringing the same section of the 3D texture back onto the
surface at the completion of the cycle as was used at the start of the
cycle.

Regards,
Chris B

Post a reply to this message