POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : DKBTrace 2.12 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  DKBTrace 2.12 (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: David Buck
Subject: DKBTrace 2.12
Date: 9 Feb 2008 06:59:36
Message: <47ad95a8$1@news.povray.org>
Just on a lark, I spend about half an hour and managed to get DKBTrace
2.12 compiled and running Windows XP using Visual Studio C++ 2005.  I
wrote a quick converter for the images in Smalltalk.

If anyone is interested, I can post the executables (without the preview
option) or post images from DKBTrace.  They are truly showing their age :-)

David Buck

Post a reply to this message

David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> Just on a lark, I spend about half an hour and managed to get DKBTrace
> 2.12 compiled and running Windows XP using Visual Studio C++ 2005.  I
> wrote a quick converter for the images in Smalltalk.

computer history lessons... :)

hey, I guess the original probably runs in some Amiga emulator.  And probably
outputs images faster than the original as well. :D

> If anyone is interested, I can post the executables (without the preview
> option) or post images from DKBTrace.  They are truly showing their age :-)

sure, it's always fun, kinda like seeing the clothes we wore back then...

Post a reply to this message

> David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
>> Just on a lark, I spend about half an hour and managed to get DKBTrace
>> 2.12 compiled and running Windows XP using Visual Studio C++ 2005.  I
>> wrote a quick converter for the images in Smalltalk.
>
> computer history lessons... :)
>
> hey, I guess the original probably runs in some Amiga emulator.  And probably
> outputs images faster than the original as well. :D
>
>> If anyone is interested, I can post the executables (without the preview
>> option) or post images from DKBTrace.  They are truly showing their age :-)
>
> sure, it's always fun, kinda like seeing the clothes we wore back then...

The VS C++ 2005 version certainly runs faster.  Back in the Amiga days,
we didn't have floating point processors so all floating point
calculations were done by a library.

(and we had to walk 5 miles to school - and it was uphill - both ways -
and we lived in a cardboard box and we thought we were lucky.)

David Buck

Post a reply to this message

David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> (and we had to walk 5 miles to school - and it was uphill - both ways -
> and we lived in a cardboard box and we thought we were lucky.)

Cardboard box? You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a
septic tank.

;)

-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring

Post a reply to this message

> The VS C++ 2005 version certainly runs faster.  Back in the Amiga days,
> we didn't have floating point processors so all floating point
> calculations were done by a library.

Early on, yes, the FP lib was necessary; but if you didn't have a family
to support, FP coprocessors (and CPUs with an FP unit) were available as
well.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
>> (and we had to walk 5 miles to school - and it was uphill - both ways -
>> and we lived in a cardboard box and we thought we were lucky.)
>
> Cardboard box? You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a
> septic tank.

It's good when the young people are well-versed in the classics.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message