POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make a laser (not necessarily realistic) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  How to make a laser (not necessarily realistic) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: How to make a laser (not necessarily realistic)
Date: 12 Nov 2007 23:51:44
Message: <47392d60@news.povray.org>
OK, to put it in few words. I need to simulate a laser. An object with
high ambient and radiosity looks like a good solution, but I *really*
want to avoid radiosity (hard to keep good quality on an animation,
issues with tiled rendering, etc). I guess it should be possible with
media; but note I'm a noob with media, so please explain slowly. The
laser doesn't have to be realistic at all. It's game graphics;
highly-exaggerated will do.

Something like...

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9459/laser1lf4.png
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8214/laser2qu2.png

note the glowing :]

Post a reply to this message

> OK, to put it in few words. I need to simulate a laser. An object with
> high ambient and radiosity looks like a good solution, but I *really*
> want to avoid radiosity (hard to keep good quality on an animation,
> issues with tiled rendering, etc). I guess it should be possible with
> media; but note I'm a noob with media, so please explain slowly. The
> laser doesn't have to be realistic at all. It's game graphics;
> highly-exaggerated will do.
>
> Something like...
>
> http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9459/laser1lf4.png
> http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8214/laser2qu2.png
>
> note the glowing :]
for the light_source use a cylinder light_source.
for the media:
- define a shape to contain the beam (it's faster and more accurate). A
thin cylinder will do
--use transmit 1 for that object
--make it hollow
--set media to its interior:
--scattering media
---density around 1e-3 (i'm not sure here)
---no absorption or emmision
---the syntax is scattering{type,color [extinction e]}
----type can be quite any but type 1 will do (isotropic filtering)
----keep color White
----if you want to use a weaker light_source set a higher density to the
media and add extinction 0 to the scattering block.
Also, remember to add a lens effect to the lase head :-)

EG: density of 1e-3, beam radius of 0.1 and light intensity (color) 1e+4
should give you a fully saturated beam when viewed perpendicularly.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 13 Nov 2007 03:23:23
Message: <47395efb$1@news.povray.org>
> OK, to put it in few words. I need to simulate a laser. An object with
> high ambient and radiosity looks like a good solution, but I *really* want
> to avoid radiosity (hard to keep good quality on an animation, issues with
> tiled rendering, etc). I guess it should be possible with media; but note
> I'm a noob with media, so please explain slowly. The laser doesn't have to
> be realistic at all. It's game graphics; highly-exaggerated will do.

I've always liked bright emission medias for sci-fi lasers.
Looks best on a dark background, IMO.

cylinder {<-2,0,0>,<2,0,0>,0.2
   hollow
   material {
      texture {
         pigment {Clear}
      }
      interior {
         media {
            emission NeonBlue*7
            density {
              cylindrical
              rotate <0,0,90>
              scale <1,0.2,0.2>
            }
         }
      }
   }
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 13 Nov 2007 10:15:51
Message: <4739bfa7$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/13 03:23:
>> OK, to put it in few words. I need to simulate a laser. An object with
>> high ambient and radiosity looks like a good solution, but I *really* want
>> to avoid radiosity (hard to keep good quality on an animation, issues with
>> tiled rendering, etc). I guess it should be possible with media; but note
>> I'm a noob with media, so please explain slowly. The laser doesn't have to
>> be realistic at all. It's game graphics; highly-exaggerated will do.
>
> I've always liked bright emission medias for sci-fi lasers.
> Looks best on a dark background, IMO.
>
> cylinder {<-2,0,0>,<2,0,0>,0.2
>    hollow
>    material {
>       texture {
>          pigment {Clear}
>       }
>       interior {
>          media {
>             emission NeonBlue*7
>             density {
>               cylindrical
>               rotate <0,0,90>
>               scale <1,0.2,0.2>
>             }
>          }
>       }
>    }
> }

Personaly, I prefer this solution for an animation.
Emissive media render much faster than scattering media. It also mean that you
use 1 less light, another thing that can make your render a little faster.

A little trick: adjust the lenght of the cylinder to make it stop on an
obstacle. Use a trace from the laser toward it's target. Check the returned
normal, and if not zero, use the returned location for the far end of the
cylinder. For a normal of zero, just extend the cylinder a few 100 units.

--
Alain
Coming soon: Windows for Nintendo!