POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half-baked distributed rendering question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Half-baked distributed rendering question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Half-baked distributed rendering question
Date: 14 Jun 2007 20:53:58
Message: <4671e326@news.povray.org>
First, pardon me if the idea presented below has already been done to death.

 From what I've seen, current methods for distributing a render involve
dicing up the scene and having the separate processors render different
parts of the scene, but with each processor using the same render database.

I had the half-baked idea of dividing up the render task a different
way, and that is to split up the rendered scene among the separate
processors.  One processor decides which rays get traced, and it sends a
ray-intersection request to each of the processsors.  Each one does the
tests against a smaller set of the data, and reports the results to the
controlling processor.  This controller then interprets the results as
need be.

Pros:
   * Scenes can now be larger without stressing memory limits.
   * Ray-intersection tests take less time.

Cons:
   * Communication time between processors may present an unacceptable
bottleneck.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message