POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity as toon-shading approximator? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity as toon-shading approximator? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Radiosity as toon-shading approximator?
Date: 19 Mar 2007 21:07:24
Message: <45ff41db@news.povray.org>
I was dusting off old files and I found one file where I achieved a sort of
toony effect with radiosity.  In order to save me a bunch of
experimentation time  ;)   would anyone have an idea which one of these
settings would have been the key to getting a quasi-toon effect?

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma .92
radiosity {
    pretrace_start 0.08           // start pretrace at this size
    pretrace_end   0.04           // end pretrace at this size
    count 35                      // higher -> higher quality (1..1600) [35]
    nearest_count 5               // higher -> higher quality (1..10) [5]
    error_bound 1.8               // higher -> smoother, less accurate [1.8]
    recursion_limit 3             // how much interreflections are
                                  //    calculated (1..5+) [3]
    low_error_factor .5           // reduce error_bound during last
                                //  pretrace step
    gray_threshold 0.0            // increase for weakening colors (0..1)
    minimum_reuse 0.015           // reuse of old radiosity samples [ 0.015]
    brightness 2                  // brightness of radiosity effects (0..1)
     //ambient 1
    adc_bailout 0.01/2
    //normal on                   // take surface normals into account [off]
    //media on                    // take media into account [off]
    //save_file "file_name"       // save radiosity data
    //load_file "file_name"       // load saved radiosity data
    //always_sample off           // turn sampling in final trace off [on]
    //max_sample 1.0              // maximum brightness of samples
  }}

Post a reply to this message

> I was dusting off old files and I found one file where I achieved a sort
> of
> toony effect with radiosity.  In order to save me a bunch of
> experimentation time  ;)   would anyone have an idea which one of these
> settings would have been the key to getting a quasi-toon effect?

I guess the effect comes from the combination of brightness > 1 and
recursion_limit > 1. It makes the objects "glow".

-a.

Post a reply to this message

>> I was dusting off old files and I found one file where I achieved a sort
>> of
>> toony effect with radiosity.  In order to save me a bunch of
>> experimentation time  ;)   would anyone have an idea which one of these
>> settings would have been the key to getting a quasi-toon effect?
>
> I guess the effect comes from the combination of brightness > 1 and
> recursion_limit > 1. It makes the objects "glow".
>
> -a.

The brightness is the only value that's different from the default
values in the radiosity scene template, is it not?  I imagine that
without point lights and compensation from radiosity brightness you
won't get much shading, and thus the cartoon effect.  With most scenes,
however, this setting will not product a cartoon effect.

Skip

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 20 Mar 2007 16:05:57
Message: <46004cb5$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I was dusting off old files and I found one file where I achieved a sort of
> toony effect with radiosity.  In order to save me a bunch of
> experimentation time  ;)   would anyone have an idea which one of these
> settings would have been the key to getting a quasi-toon effect?

You could get a toon effect, and faster renders, by removing radiosity
entirely, and using

#default {finish {ambient 1}}

Then simplify the textures, as desired, to get more toon-like results.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 20 Mar 2007 18:10:02
Message: <web.460068c39611a35d977978930@news.povray.org>
LightBeam (Celestin) presented a wonderful cartoon effect a while back using
the aoi function in MegaPov.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C41f7e1ab@news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/attachment/%3C41f9190a@news.povray.org%3E/us-ascii?ttop=237992&toff=
150

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 20 Mar 2007 21:22:13
Message: <460096d5@news.povray.org>
Okay, now does THAT technique only work well with spheroids?

Stephen Klebs wrote:

> LightBeam (Celestin) presented a wonderful cartoon effect a while back
> using the aoi function in MegaPov.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C41f7e1ab@news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/attachment/%3C41f9190a@news.povray.org%3E/us-ascii?ttop=237992&toff=
> 150

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 21 Mar 2007 12:35:02
Message: <web.46016c549611a35d977978930@news.povray.org>
I wondered the same thing. I did some experiments a while ago and it works
great with any shape or mesh but the effect is most pronounced with smooth,
rounded surfaces but that's true of any cartoon effect. If you want, I can
email you the test scenes or send them to binaries.scene-files.

Steve Klebs
http://www.cloudinthesky.com

"Greg M. Johnson" <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithYcom> wrote:
> Okay, now does THAT technique only work well with spheroids?
>
> Stephen Klebs wrote:
>
> > LightBeam (Celestin) presented a wonderful cartoon effect a while back
> > using the aoi function in MegaPov.
> >

> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C41f7e1ab@news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/attachment/%3C41f9190a@news.povray.org%3E/us-ascii?ttop=237992&tof
f=
> > 150

Post a reply to this message

From: Lukas Winter
Date: 21 Mar 2007 13:13:18
Message: <pan.2007.03.21.18.13.16.920925@removeit.geloescht.net>
Am Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:22:14 -0400 schrieb Greg M. Johnson:

> Okay, now does THAT technique only work well with spheroids?

I developed a toon shading technique a while ago that works with all kinds
of surfaces using attenuation. The drawback is for each object you have
you need a slightly larger copy of it, which can get quite difficult for
isosurfaces or blobs. I'll post it as soon as I have posted my RSOCP...

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 21 Mar 2007 13:15:02
Message: <web.4601750e9611a35d977978930@news.povray.org>
You can also check out Thibaut Jonckheere's EdgeMesh macro:
http://pov.monde.free.fr/contributions/tj_edgemacro/aide.htm. It doesn't
work with primitives, only mesh 2, but the results look impressive.

Steve Klebs
http://www.cloudinthesky.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 22 Mar 2007 04:02:17
Message: <46024619$1@news.povray.org>
Post-processing can work OK for this too.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C44cd545a@news.povray.org%3E/