POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Objects on a slope Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:33:06 EDT (-0400)
  Objects on a slope (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Objects on a slope
Date: 12 Mar 2007 07:43:50
Message: <45f54b06@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I trying to place objects on the slope of a height_field. From the
documentation I was able to figure out how to get the "Y" direction problem
solved by using the trace command to place the objects, but now another
issue has cropped up. Some of the objects are partically covered (see
attached image). I'm wondering if if vrotate (A,B) A being the camera
location, and B.z or B.x is would fix this. I'm having a problem figuring
how to intergrate that into what I've already done. Pointers appreciated
better than an actual solution as I'll end up understanding it better.

Thanks Jim
----

#macro PlaceDBs (Target, Location, Object)

  #local Dither = 1;
  #while (Dither)
    #local DFactor = 1 * rand(Rand);
    #if (DFactor >= 0.75 & DFactor <= 1)
      #local Dither = 0;
    #end
  #end

  #local Norm = <0, 0, 0>;
  #local Start = <0, 10, 0>;
  #local Intercept = trace (Target, Start, Location-Start ,Norm);

  #if (vlength(Norm) != 0)
    object {Object rotate y*(360 * DFactor) scale (0.1 * DFactor) translate
Intercept}
  #end

#end

// -----

#declare NumberOfObjects = 50;
#declare Collision = 0.6;
#declare ObjectBox = <-5,0,-5>;
#declare Locations = array[NumberOfObjects];
#declare Rand = seed(49+16+80+87+33+5);

#declare i = 0;

#while (i < NumberOfObjects)
  #declare Locations[i] = (<rand(Rand),rand(Rand),rand(Rand)> - 0.5) *
ObjectBox;
  #declare TooClose = 0;
  #declare j = 0;

  #while (j < i)
    #if (vlength(Locations[i] - Locations[j]) < Collision)
      #declare TooClose = 1;
      #declare j = i;
    #end
    #declare j = j + 1;
  #end

  #if (TooClose = 0)
    PlaceDBs (Terrain, Locations[i], DogBerries)
    #declare i = i + 1;
  #end
#end

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scratch.jpg' (42 KB)

Preview of image 'scratch.jpg'
scratch.jpg

If you want the objects to be aligned to the heightfield (instead of
all of them being purely vertical), the solution to this is to take the
normal vector returned by trace() and then use Reorient_Trans() from
transforms.inc to rotate the object.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I trying to place objects on the slope of a height_field. From the
> documentation I was able to figure out how to get the "Y" direction problem
> solved by using the trace command to place the objects, but now another
> issue has cropped up. Some of the objects are partically covered (see
> attached image). I'm wondering if if vrotate (A,B) A being the camera
> location, and B.z or B.x is would fix this. I'm having a problem figuring
> how to intergrate that into what I've already done. Pointers appreciated
> better than an actual solution as I'll end up understanding it better.
>
> Thanks Jim
> ----
>
> #macro PlaceDBs (Target, Location, Object)
>
>   #local Dither = 1;
>   #while (Dither)
>     #local DFactor = 1 * rand(Rand);
>     #if (DFactor >= 0.75 & DFactor <= 1)
>       #local Dither = 0;
>     #end
>   #end
>
>   #local Norm = <0, 0, 0>;
>   #local Start = <0, 10, 0>;
>   #local Intercept = trace (Target, Start, Location-Start ,Norm);
>
>   #if (vlength(Norm) != 0)
>     object {Object rotate y*(360 * DFactor) scale (0.1 * DFactor) translate
> Intercept}
>   #end
>
> #end
>
> // -----
>
> #declare NumberOfObjects = 50;
> #declare Collision = 0.6;
> #declare ObjectBox = <-5,0,-5>;
> #declare Locations = array[NumberOfObjects];
> #declare Rand = seed(49+16+80+87+33+5);
>
> #declare i = 0;
>
> #while (i < NumberOfObjects)
>   #declare Locations[i] = (<rand(Rand),rand(Rand),rand(Rand)> - 0.5) *
> ObjectBox;
>   #declare TooClose = 0;
>   #declare j = 0;
>
>   #while (j < i)
>     #if (vlength(Locations[i] - Locations[j]) < Collision)
>       #declare TooClose = 1;
>       #declare j = i;
>     #end
>     #declare j = j + 1;
>   #end
>
>   #if (TooClose = 0)
>     PlaceDBs (Terrain, Locations[i], DogBerries)
>     #declare i = i + 1;
>   #end
> #end

Hello Jim.

Before you drop your objects onto the surface, you have to align them with
the normal of the surface at the place you drop. Have a look a
transforms.inc and at the doc on the subject. The Align_Trans() macro could
be helpful. As you sure know, the trace() primitive returns the normal of
the surface encountered.

    Bruno

Post a reply to this message

> If you want the objects to be aligned to the heightfield (instead of
> all of them being purely vertical), the solution to this is to take the
> normal vector returned by trace() and then use Reorient_Trans() from
> transforms.inc to rotate the object.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Hello again Jim. Oooooops, Warp is right: Reorient_Trans() is correct,
Align_Trans is not for your purpose ... He answered quicker an better than
me ...

   Bruno

Post a reply to this message

"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I trying to place objects on the slope of a height_field. From the
> documentation I was able to figure out how to get the "Y" direction problem
> solved by using the trace command to place the objects, but now another
> issue has cropped up. Some of the objects are partically covered (see
> attached image). I'm wondering if if vrotate (A,B) A being the camera
> location, and B.z or B.x is would fix this. I'm having a problem figuring
> how to intergrate that into what I've already done. Pointers appreciated
> better than an actual solution as I'll end up understanding it better.

To further clarify along with what the others said, vrotate(A,B) doesn't
rotate objects, it rotates vector A by degree rotation B.  What you want is
the opposite, you know the resultant vector and the rotated vector (normal,
A), you need to find the corresponding rotation B which is what the
function described by Warp does.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Thanks for the pointer ..... as I was reading vrotate description it didn't
sound exactly right for my problem.
ONWARD!!!!

Post a reply to this message