POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My kingdom for one photon... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  My kingdom for one photon... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: My kingdom for one photon...
Date: 3 Jan 2007 08:22:23
Message: <459bae0e@news.povray.org>
I have a mesh2 object I want to shoot photons at...

#declare my_object=mesh2{
vertex_vectors{
144,
<-5.510035,-2E-6,14.84191>,
.
.
.
material{MyMaterial}

 photons
 {
        target
        refraction on
        reflection on
        collect off
 }
}

The MyMaterial is:

#declare GreenPlatetex =

   material  // GreenPlatetex

   {

      texture

      {

         pigment

         {

            color rgbft <0.27451, 0.741176, 0.156863, 0.45, 0.75>

         }

         finish

         {

            ambient 0.2

            specular 0.4

            roughness 0.01

            conserve_energy

            reflection

            {

               0.15 , 0.25

               fresnel  off

               falloff  1.0

               exponent 1.0

               metallic 0.0

            }

         }

      }

      interior

      {

         ior 1.35

         caustics 1.25

         dispersion 1.25

         dispersion_samples  10

      }

   }

In global setttings' photons block, I have the following:

photons
  {
        count 20000
        jitter .4
        radius ,1.5
  }

And as a light source I have

light_source {
  <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>
  color rgb <1.000, 1.000, 1.000>*1.4500
  translate  <0.984692, -14.212549, 19.073553>

  photons
  {
        refraction on
        reflection on
  }
}

I'm sure the light source's emissions can find the object for I can see the
object quite fine.

So I have

- photons block in global_settings
- the object I want photos shot at is marked as a target
- a light source that must emit photons

However, ZERO photons are generated. There is no parsing message that
photons are being shot - I briefly see

Photons Sampling 0x0

then it is gone and the scene starts rendering. There is also no mention of
photons in the scene statistics after it has finished rendering. I'm using
the official Povray 3.1 windows version to attempt this.

What I've already tried:

- no autostop statement as recommended by the docs
- increasing global photon count (I've gone up to 2000000 from the 20 000
shown here, still zero photons shot).
- I've also tried specifying by global photon density - lower densities also
result in zero photons being shot.
- I've tried specifying lower and lower values for density on the object as
well - no results.

It this because I'm trying to shoot photons at a mesh2 object (with
no "inside"?)

Why am I seeing absolutely no photons shot? I see no parsing error messages.

Any ideas?
--
Stefan

Post a reply to this message

> then it is gone and the scene starts rendering. There is also no mention of
> photons in the scene statistics after it has finished rendering. I'm using
> the official Povray 3.1 windows version to attempt this.

POV-Ray 3.1 does not even support photons!?!

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>> then it is gone and the scene starts rendering. There is also no mention
>> of photons in the scene statistics after it has finished rendering. I'm
>> using the official Povray 3.1 windows version to attempt this.
>
> POV-Ray 3.1 does not even support photons!?!

Whoops! Sorry - 3.6.1 of course. My mistake. Any idea why I get no
photons...?

--
Stefan