POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray part of SPEC CPU 2006 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray part of SPEC CPU 2006 (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: POV-Ray part of SPEC CPU 2006
Date: 28 Aug 2006 08:52:33
Message: <44f2e711$1@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray 3.6 is part of the newly-released SPEC CPU 2006 benchmark suite. The
SPEC CPU 2006 benchmark is the next generation of the widely used industry
standard CPU benchmark suite, stressing a system's processor and memory
subsystem as well as compiler development.

This is good news for POV-Ray users, since, over time, processor and system
vendors tend to optimize their technology to perform well when running the
problems in the SPEC benchmark. This can lead to better performance of
POV-Ray on newly released processors. Additionally, compiler vendors
frequently use SPEC to validate their compilers; thus users of POV-Ray on
platforms not officially supported are, in the medium to long term, less
likely to encounter problems, therefore extending overall portability of POV-Ray.

  http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/CFP2006/

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> POV-Ray 3.6 is part of the newly-released SPEC CPU 2006 benchmark suite. The
> SPEC CPU 2006 benchmark is the next generation of the widely used industry
> standard CPU benchmark suite, stressing a system's processor and memory
> subsystem as well as compiler development.
>
> This is good news for POV-Ray users, since, over time, processor and system
> vendors tend to optimize their technology to perform well when running the
> problems in the SPEC benchmark. This can lead to better performance of
> POV-Ray on newly released processors. Additionally, compiler vendors
> frequently use SPEC to validate their compilers; thus users of POV-Ray on
> platforms not officially supported are, in the medium to long term, less
> likely to encounter problems, therefore extending overall portability of POV-Ray.
>
>   http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/CFP2006/
>
> -- Chris

Great!! anything that speeds up my renders has got to be a good thing. Shame
the test doesn't include isosurfaces and focal blur with atmospheric media
;-)