POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help getting a decal mapped to a triangle patch (14.3K) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Help getting a decal mapped to a triangle patch (14.3K) (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Help getting a decal mapped to a triangle patch (14.3K)
Date: 10 Jun 2006 13:31:05
Message: <448b01d7@news.povray.org>
How can I accomplish this:

I have a .tga that I want to map to a triangle patch, to put decal on it.

The triangle patch is a bent piece of "plate" if you will, that I just want
to put the decal on. I've designed the patch in blender, but I'm having
endless trouble getting the image mapped correctly to the patch. (I
imported the triangle patch into Povray with PoseRay, from a .obj export
from blender).

Please see the attached file. The "Avery Orion" decal on the cube is exactly
what I want to put on the bent piece to the left, down and below the cube.
As you can see the map IS there, it is just focused in too close.

So far I have

image_map
        {
                tga "eng_hatch_decal.tga"
                map_type 1
                once
        }
        scale <1,1,1>
        rotate x*90

in the pigment statement for the triangle patch.

My camera being perpendicular to the Z axis, which is in the positive Y
direction according to the attached image's orientation.

I've tried several scaling factors, and translations, but I just can't seem
to get the decal to scale down and fit into the curved rectangular area you
can see in the attached image.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'problem.jpg' (15 KB)

Preview of image 'problem.jpg'
problem.jpg

> I have a .tga that I want to map to a triangle patch, to put decal on it.
>
> The triangle patch is a bent piece of "plate" if you will, that I just want
> to put the decal on. I've designed the patch in blender, but I'm having
> endless trouble getting the image mapped correctly to the patch. (I
> imported the triangle patch into Povray with PoseRay, from a .obj export
> from blender).
>
> Please see the attached file. The "Avery Orion" decal on the cube is exactly
> what I want to put on the bent piece to the left, down and below the cube.
> As you can see the map IS there, it is just focused in too close.
>
> So far I have
>
> image_map
>         {
>                 tga "eng_hatch_decal.tga"
>                 map_type 1
>                 once
>         }
>         scale <1,1,1>
>         rotate x*90
>
> in the pigment statement for the triangle patch.
>
> My camera being perpendicular to the Z axis, which is in the positive Y
> direction according to the attached image's orientation.
>
> I've tried several scaling factors, and translations, but I just can't seem
> to get the decal to scale down and fit into the curved rectangular area you
> can see in the attached image.
>
> How can I accomplish

Can you have blender apply uv-mapping and export that?

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> I have a .tga that I want to map to a triangle patch, to put decal on it.
>
> The triangle patch is a bent piece of "plate" if you will, that I just want
> to put the decal on. I've designed the patch in blender, but I'm having
> endless trouble getting the image mapped correctly to the patch. (I
> imported the triangle patch into Povray with PoseRay, from a .obj export
> from blender).
>
> Please see the attached file. The "Avery Orion" decal on the cube is exactly
> what I want to put on the bent piece to the left, down and below the cube.
> As you can see the map IS there, it is just focused in too close.
>
> So far I have
>
> image_map
>         {
>                 tga "eng_hatch_decal.tga"
>                 map_type 1
>                 once
>         }
>         scale <1,1,1>
>         rotate x*90
>
> in the pigment statement for the triangle patch.
>
> My camera being perpendicular to the Z axis, which is in the positive Y
> direction according to the attached image's orientation.
>
> I've tried several scaling factors, and translations, but I just can't seem
> to get the decal to scale down and fit into the curved rectangular area you
> can see in the attached image.
>
> How can I accomplish this?
>
> Thanks!

As John said you need to create the uv's somewhere, either in blender or
  edit the triangles manually, if there are not too many.  You will also
need the uv_mapping keyword.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 12 Jun 2006 02:28:59
Message: <448d09ab@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle spake:

>> I've tried several scaling factors, and translations, but I just can't
>> seem to get the decal to scale down and fit into the curved rectangular
>> area you can see in the attached image.
>>
>> How can I accomplish
>
> Can you have blender apply uv-mapping and export that?
>
> Regards,
> John

Hi John

Thanks for replying - I got it fixed. The thing was that I was using
cylindrical mapping, which was screwing it up. I switched back to planar,
and I rendered a few dozen times with different scaling factors and
translations until it dropped into position. Thanks anyway!

I did get blended to export its uv-mapping in the .OBJ and
corresponding .MTL files it can generate, and poseray converted these
correctly. Just needed some time and luck to figure out the correct scaling
and translations.

Regards,

From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 12 Jun 2006 02:30:29
Message: <448d0a04@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter spake:

>> I've tried several scaling factors, and translations, but I just can't
>> seem to get the decal to scale down and fit into the curved rectangular
>> area you can see in the attached image.
>>
>> How can I accomplish this?
>>
>> Thanks!

> As John said you need to create the uv's somewhere, either in blender or
>   edit the triangles manually, if there are not too many.  You will also
> need the uv_mapping keyword.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the response. I checked through the output of what poseray gave
when I ran it on the .obj blender exported. It does have UV coords
specified. As in my other post, I just had to figure out the correct
scaling and translation to make the image map fit.

Thanks for the reply, anyway!

Kind regards,