POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media with Photons - -> Black Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Media with Photons - -> Black (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Simon Dyer
Subject: Media with Photons - -> Black
Date: 9 May 2006 03:52:13
Message: <44604a2d@news.povray.org>
I had a file that had a mesh using mesh2 imported from 3d Studio.

All was rendering well, except I wanted to see where the light was
travelling, so wanted to add some mist.

Implementing media and suddenly the entire picture is dark.

Help?

My objects use:
interior {ior 1.25 } photons {target 0.9 refraction on reflection on}}

My global settings use:

global_settings
{
 ambient_light  color rgb <1.392160, 1.392160, 1.392160>
 assumed_gamma 1.800000
           max_trace_level 6
        photons {
                spacing 0.05
                count 50000000    }
}

media {
  scattering { 1, rgb 0.03}
  intervals 5
  samples 5
  method 3
}

Simon Dyer nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 09/05/2006 03:48:
> I had a file that had a mesh using mesh2 imported from 3d Studio.
>
> All was rendering well, except I wanted to see where the light was
> travelling, so wanted to add some mist.
>
> Implementing media and suddenly the entire picture is dark.
>
> Help?
>
> My objects use:
> interior {ior 1.25 } photons {target 0.9 refraction on reflection on}}
>
> My global settings use:
>
> global_settings
> {
>  ambient_light  color rgb <1.392160, 1.392160, 1.392160>
>  assumed_gamma 1.800000
>            max_trace_level 6
>         photons {
>                 spacing 0.05
>                 count 50000000    }
> }
>

> media {
>   scattering { 1, rgb 0.03}
>   intervals 5
>   samples 5
>   method 3
> }

You use scattering media, that media scatters the light and reduce the amount that
goes trough. You
can try adding extinction 0, this will prevent the media from casting shadows.

When you use method 3 (the default, don't need to specify), it's best and faster to
not mention
intervals, or set it to 1 (default value). If you want to have more samples, just
increase the
samples value accordingly. Set it to 25 in the present case. This will enable your
scene to render
faster, in fact, samples 100 will probably be faster than samples 5 intervals 5.

In the photons block, you use BOTH count and spacing. Use one or the other, not both.
When you use
count, you don't need spacing. When you use spacing, you don't need count.

--
Alain
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon Dyer
Date: 15 May 2006 05:41:19
Message: <44684cbf@news.povray.org>
Hey thanks - you just sped my renders up *10
Now Using

global_settings
{
 ambient_light  color rgb <0.392160, 0.392160, 0.392160>
 assumed_gamma 1.800000
 adc_bailout 1/64
 max_trace_level 6
        photons {