POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real water - inside and out? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Real water - inside and out? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bryan Heit
Subject: Real water - inside and out?
Date: 21 Jan 2006 15:10:30
Message: <43d29536$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to generate an animation of a dive site for a DVD video.
Basically, it's a "virtual tour" of the site, starting from shore.
Nothing fancy, just enough to give the viewers a basic idea of what the
topography is underwater.  I've generated the site using height_fields,
and have got most of the surrounding scenery finished and looking good.

Where I've come into some real troubles is getting water that looks good
from both "shore" and from "underwater".  Using some tutorials on the
internet I've managed to come up with some water which looks really nice
from the shore view, but is completely unrealistic from under water.
Basically, all of the scattering qualities I'd expect disappear when I
"submerge" the camera.

I suspect is the "interior" command is applied to the water when the
camera is on "land", but is being applied to the air when the camera is
"underwater".  Is this the case?  How do I fix this?

Code for water is attached below.

thanx

Bryan

plane {
  <0,1,0>, 0
    material {
     texture {
       pigment {
         color rgbt <0.2, 0.7, 0.3, 0.5>
       } //end pigment
       finish {
         ambient 0.0
         diffuse 0.0

         reflection {
           0.0, 1.0
           fresnel on
         } //end reflection

         specular 0.4
         roughness 0.003
       }   //end finish
       normal {
         function {
           f_ridged_mf(x, y, z, 0.1, 3.0, 7, 0.7, 0.7, 2)
         } 0.8
         scale 20
       } //end normal
     } //end texture