POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Texturing isosurface based on gradient Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Texturing isosurface based on gradient (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: John Mackay
Subject: Texturing isosurface based on gradient
Date: 9 Jan 2006 17:19:17
Message: <43c2e165@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've just discovered the use of isosurfaces for use as terrain!
Previously I have used height fields, and have written a few little
programs to do object placement/generate texture bitmaps based on the
gradient/height - ie. rocky texture for steeps slopes, grass for flatter
areas, and snow depending on altitude etc.

I'm using the f_hetero_mf function for my terrain, and was wondering, is
there any way of achieveing something similar to my texturing program?
Since discovering Isosurfaces (and trace for object placement), I'd like
to do the whole lot with povray. Is there some way of calculating the
gradient/height and having povray 'decide' which texture to use? Perhaps
a sneaky combination of texture_maps and the f_hetero_mf function?

Many thanks for reading this far!!
Cheers,
John

to reply by email: jdm### [at] lRyEcMoOsVcEoMuEk

Post a reply to this message

> I'm using the f_hetero_mf function for my terrain, and was wondering, is
> there any way of achieveing something similar to my texturing program?
> Since discovering Isosurfaces (and trace for object placement), I'd like
> to do the whole lot with povray. Is there some way of calculating the
> gradient/height and having povray 'decide' which texture to use? Perhaps
> a sneaky combination of texture_maps and the f_hetero_mf function?

You might want to look into the slope-pattern and use it along with a
gradient y pattern...

Regards,
Tim

--