POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Best hardware to buy Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:31 EDT (-0400)
  Best hardware to buy (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Rick Measham
Subject: Best hardware to buy
Date: 8 Sep 2005 03:32:38
Message: <431fe916$1@news.povray.org>
What's the best hardware around for rendering pov?

With 3.7 allowing for multiprocessors, I'm thinking that that is the way
to go, though how many processors can it handle?

Does a good graphics card speed things up at all, or is it all CPU?

What else should I be looking at?

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Post a reply to this message

> Does a good graphics card speed things up at all, or is it all CPU?

It's all CPU!

> What else should I be looking at?
Lot's of (cheap?) RAM helps for large scenes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 8 Sep 2005 04:50:01
Message: <dfotoj$4p6$1@chho.imagico.de>
Rick Measham wrote:
> What's the best hardware around for rendering pov?

That much depends on what kind of scenes you render.

> With 3.7 allowing for multiprocessors, I'm thinking that that is the way
> to go, though how many processors can it handle?

You should note that 3.7 is not ready for production use at the moment.
    And it is not necessarily that a multiprocessor system will give you
a better performace/price ratio.

This of course does not mean a multiprocessor system can't be useful for
POV-Ray use (even for 3.6 based versions).

> Does a good graphics card speed things up at all, or is it all CPU?

http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/miscQandT.html#3dcard

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)

From: Rick Measham
Date: 8 Sep 2005 07:16:45
Message: <43201d9d$1@news.povray.org>

Christoph Hormann wrote:
> You should note that 3.7 is not ready for production use at the moment.

Nor is my new system .. but 3.7 will be ready one day, and so will my
new system

>    And it is not necessarily that a multiprocessor system will give you
> a better performace/price ratio.

I'm not even thinking about price at the moment, just trying to get the
best specs.

> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/miscQandT.html#3dcard

Thanks Christoph, from that link it looks like getting a good FPU is the
next key thing to be looking at after CPU (Memory being a given)

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 8 Sep 2005 13:00:13
Message: <43206e1d$1@news.povray.org>
> What else should I be looking at?

Perhaps the POV-Ray SpeedGuide can answer your questions. It can be
found in the WikiPOV:

	http://www.wikipov.org/ow.asp?SpeedGuide#hardware

HTH,
Florian