POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : function for scallop wave Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  function for scallop wave (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: function for scallop wave
Date: 25 Feb 2005 05:24:47
Message: <421efcef$1@news.povray.org>
Anyone know what function would give a scallop-like wave? (but with the
waves emanating from the centre of a disk, rather than one edge).

Something like: { y-(sin(x/z))} but without the problem where z=0

Post a reply to this message

> Anyone know what function would give a scallop-like wave? (but with the
> waves emanating from the centre of a disk, rather than one edge).
>
> Something like: { y-(sin(x/z))} but without the problem where z=0

Why not try
y-sin(x/(min(z,0.01)) ?
Regis

Post a reply to this message

> > Anyone know what function would give a scallop-like wave? (but with the
> > waves emanating from the centre of a disk, rather than one edge).
> >
> > Something like: { y-(sin(x/z))} but without the problem where z=0
> >

> Why not try
> y-sin(x/(min(z,0.01)) ?

or even max(z,0.01) ;)

... not a bad idea, but not really working (a max gradient of 3935 is a bit
OTT). Still, worth a try, but with a scaling-down of the returned value as
either x or z approach 0...

hmm, tried various hopeful monsters, but I'm getting very extreme shapes
with very high max gradients...