POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Queueing up a long animation and a few huge still images: 4.0 Request? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:27:57 EDT (-0400)
  Queueing up a long animation and a few huge still images: 4.0 Request? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Queueing up a long animation and a few huge still images: 4.0 Request?
Date: 17 Feb 2005 09:00:46
Message: <4214a38e$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to have the Final_Frame and even iamge size information part
of the scene file?

There have been times when I wanted to set up a 1000 frame animation of 320
x 240's  *and* make some 5120x3840's of some images for zazzle.   Currently,
I'm working on a comic book-style project where the panels are all different
image sizes, and many might be slow-renders with radiosity.    I'd like to
be able to do this with a single queue render.

Is there currently a way to do this?   From what I guess of INI files, I'd
have to have a separate one for each file,  and with the thousands of files
I'm already keeping track of, it's already a mess. Is there another way?

(Remember:   "RTFM, Section x.y.z" is always appropriate and
community-building,   "The manual correctly describes how povray functions"
is anti-helpful. )

Post a reply to this message

"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> Is there a way to have the Final_Frame and even iamge size information
part
> of the scene file?
>
> There have been times when I wanted to set up a 1000 frame animation of
320
> x 240's  *and* make some 5120x3840's of some images for zazzle.
Currently,
> I'm working on a comic book-style project where the panels are all
different
> image sizes, and many might be slow-renders with radiosity.    I'd like to
> be able to do this with a single queue render.
>
> Is there currently a way to do this?   From what I guess of INI files, I'd
> have to have a separate one for each file,  and with the thousands of
files
> I'm already keeping track of, it's already a mess. Is there another way?
>
> (Remember:   "RTFM, Section x.y.z" is always appropriate and
> community-building,   "The manual correctly describes how povray
functions"
> is anti-helpful. )

I have no idea what a sane person would do, just hackey slackey workarounds
that are not system independent.

you could create a file format of your own that has a header which contains
ini file options, then the rest of the file is the povray SDL code. have a
pre-parser that creates an ini file from your options in the header and a
pov file from the rest, the preparser could then execute povray with the
generated ini file, and when it's complete clean up the generated files.
make the header wrapped in a povray comment and then the file can be
rendered through normal methods or through this preparser method. though
i've never tried starting povray from an external script/program... but
moray does it, so does qtpoveditor, so it can't be bad.

say something like:

/* Begin INI Header
Initial_Clock=0
Final_Clock=1
+W5120
+H3840
// and so on...
End INI Header */

// rest of scene...

I bet someone says this is a dumb idea in less than 5 minutes ;)  cue
Thorston! Just kidding Thorston!

as for queuing up a bunch of these files, it would probably have to be done
in an external script that launches the preparser on each of your desired
pov files.

Fun times. Oh well, my tea break is over. Back to work I go.

-ross