POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Math question regarding interpolation of orientations Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Math question regarding interpolation of orientations (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Subject: Math question regarding interpolation of orientations
Date: 28 Jan 2005 15:22:07
Message: <41fa9eef@news.povray.org>
I have a question about interpolating orientations:

I have a set of timestamp/orientation pairs (the orientations are
represented as unit quaternions), and now I'd like to interpolate them
to get a smooth animation. Simple cubic interpolation works, but is not
optimal.
I've read that orientations should be interpolated using slerp
(spherical linear interpolation) - this would ensure that the
interpolated points are on the (4d) sphere are on a great circle
representing the shortest distance between the two orienations.
So far so good, but I'd need cubic interpolation... Is there something
like "spherical cubic interpolation" ?

Perhaps someone already wrote some POV-Ray macros or other code that
does what I'm looking for and would share it?
Or know a link to a paper about that topic...?

Thanks a lot!

-Sascha Ledinsky

Post a reply to this message