POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?) (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Rune
Subject: Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?)
Date: 28 Jan 2005 05:28:51
Message: <41fa13e3@news.povray.org>
In TextureA below I have a texture_map based on a slope pattern. One of the
textures in the texture_map has a normal{} entry.

Should this normal be taken into account when evaluating the slope? I don't
know. What I do know is that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't!

If an object is just textured with TextureA, then it isn't, but if an object
is textured with TextureB, which has a texture_map with TextureA as an
entry, then it is!

Can anybody explain which of the two is the correct behavior? I assume that
one of them ought to be a bug. If not, then could somebody explain the logic
behind this inconsistent behavior?

light_source {<0,1,-1>*1000, color 1}

#declare TextureA =
texture {
   slope y
   texture_map {
      [0.4 pigment {red   1}]
      [0.5 pigment {green 1} normal {spotted 5}]
      [0.6 pigment {blue  1}]
   }
}

#declare TextureB =
texture {
   spotted
   texture_map {[0,TextureA][1,TextureA]}
}

union {
   cylinder {-y, y, 1}
   sphere {-y, 1}
   sphere {y, 1}
   translate 5*z
   //texture {TextureA} // normal not used in slope
   texture {TextureB} // normal is used in slope
}

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com