POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Missing scene files listed in AMD Processor Performance Evaluation Guide Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Missing scene files listed in AMD Processor Performance Evaluation Guide (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Missing scene files listed in AMD Processor Performance Evaluation Guide
Date: 16 Dec 2004 17:33:11
Message: <41c20d27@news.povray.org>
In article <web.41c2065fd852a056136b20480@news.povray.org> , "jk"
<lds### [at] ncrrcom> wrote:

> I am interested in running performance testing based on the AMD Processor
> Performance Evaluation Guide (version 3.62) available at AMD's web site
> (www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/
> white_papers_and_tech_docs/30579_hi.pdf).  In this guide (page 47), they
> refer to 38 scene files to be used in the testing.  Two of which seem to be
> missing from my installation of POV_Ray, version 3.6.  These two scene
> files are named "gaussianblob" and "Bricks_transp".
>
> Does anyone know where I can locate official versions of these two scene
> files as listed by AMD?  I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

This group is for posting binary scene files.  It is certainly the wrong
group for asking a general question about the official POV-Ray
distributions.  The group povray.general would have been correct.

Either way, the design of the scene file gaussianblob.pov is defective and
it has been removed from the official POV-Ray 3.6.1 .  I guess AMD just
updated the version to 3.6.1 from 3.6.0 or 3.5 and did not notice the file
is gone.  As far as that strange Bricks_transp.pov is concerned, either it
is a third-party file or some spell-checker butchered the file named
stackertransp.pov that seems to be missing from the list (in the document
you mentioned) containing most of the "advanced" files.

Cross-posted to povray.general, please follow-up there.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> Either way, the design of the scene file gaussianblob.pov is defective and
> it has been removed from the official POV-Ray 3.6.1 .

Doh!  As the author,  could you fill me in on the story?   ;-p

Post a reply to this message

"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> schreef in bericht

> "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message
> >
> > Either way, the design of the scene file gaussianblob.pov is defective
and
> > it has been removed from the official POV-Ray 3.6.1 .
>
> Doh!  As the author,  could you fill me in on the story?   ;-p

Thorsten,

Oh? But the scene still exists in my version of 3.6.1 (updated from 3.6)...
And indeed, same question as Greg!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote in message
[del re: missing pov files]
: Oh? But the scene still exists in my version of 3.6.1 (updated from 3.6)...

The install does not remove any existing scene files. I think
that's a logical way for the install program to behave.
=Bob=

Post a reply to this message

"=Bob=" <robertUNDERSCOREdobbinsATmailDOTtdsDOTnet> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote in message
> [del re: missing pov files]
> : Oh? But the scene still exists in my version of 3.6.1 (updated from
3.6)...

> The install does not remove any existing scene files. I think
> that's a logical way for the install program to behave.
> =Bob=

Well, yes, that makes sense. Although a little bit confusing, if things are
changed for some reason. Oh well, solution is a clean new installation of
course.
Thanks Bob!

Thomas