POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it possible to nail down whether POVCOMP, IRTC, are "Commercial Use" as per Creative Commons? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Is it possible to nail down whether POVCOMP, IRTC, are "Commercial Use" as per Creative Commons? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Is it possible to nail down whether POVCOMP, IRTC, are "Commercial Use" as per Creative Commons?
Date: 15 Dec 2004 23:00:24
Message: <41c10858$1@news.povray.org>
Consdier for example:
https://magnatune.com/artists/license/student?artist=Saros&album=Soundscapes&genre=Electronica

Which points us to:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/legalcode

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 16 Dec 2004 10:04:20
Message: <41c1a3f4$1@news.povray.org>

news:41c10858$1@news.povray.org...

> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/legalcode

>You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in
any >manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial
advantage or >private monetary compensation.

The IRTC no longer offers compensation of any sort so it's non-commercial.

For the POVCOMP, there are prizes (non-monetary compensation) but I could
imagine someone complaining about a winning entry being "directed toward
commercial advantage" even though it doesn't make much sense for this
non-lawyer... If you want this issue to be clarified, the best would be to
ask the question on the CC mailing list and report here.

G.
--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Duthie
Date: 16 Dec 2004 19:10:11
Message: <41c223e3@news.povray.org>
I'm not sure about the IRTC, but section 5b of the Povcomp rules has
these subsections:

"Additional requirements for the winning entries"

iii) Submit a suitably sized version of their image to sponsor
zazzle.com for display and sale, for a period of not less than 30 days,
in the competition gallery that zazzle will establish. A royalty will be
paid on sales made through zazzle.

iv) Agree to their image being used for marketing purposes by the
competition and its sponsors for a period of two years, provided that
the image is unaltered (other than applying your signature, resizing,
recompressing it, or as otherwise agreed by you) and that credit is given.

http://www.povcomp.com/rules/

It is conceivable that some people might classify that activity as
commercial.

Peter D.

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 16 Dec 2004 21:34:00
Message: <41c24598$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message

> The IRTC no longer offers compensation of any sort so it's non-commercial.

Thanks for the reminder, Peter, on POVCOMP.

But Gilles, if the POV-Team/ Chris/ whoever  is selling CD's of anims,  does
that make it in any way a commercial project?