POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FOX does now wand to use material for SPEED Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  FOX does now wand to use material for SPEED (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Roland Mösl
Subject: FOX does now wand to use material for SPEED
Date: 5 Oct 2004 13:49:18
Message: <4162de9e$1@news.povray.org>
Maybe You remember this annoying thriller "Speed" from 1994.

I did not see him, because I do not like such stress films.

But I found, that this film is the best symbol and comparsion
for todays economic and political situation.

Short about my background.

I developed 1991 the GEMINI solar energy house
http://www.pege.org/gemini

I created 1994 a short 20 second video about the planed house
http://www.pege.org/gemini/pov_video.htm

2001 the house was the main atraction of the Styria country
exhibition about energy
http://www.pege.org/gemini-house

Now I discovered, that this house is optimized for a complete
different tax system, and that our current tax and social system
will ruin the economy.

As an answer to the situation, I wrote http://politik.pege.org
(Sorry, only German version until now)

And for a comparsion of the political system, I would like
to write some pages with photos from speed.

About the situation in the film
About how similar is our situation

So after FOX refused, what's about some POVray generated
szene photos from Speed?

--

http://www.pege.org
clear targets for a confused civilization

A-5083 Gartenau
+43 699 17343674

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe You remember this annoying thriller "Speed" from 1994.
>
> I did not see him, because I do not like such stress films.
>
> But I found, that this film is the best symbol and comparsion
> for todays economic and political situation.
>
> Short about my background.
>
> I developed 1991 the GEMINI solar energy house
> http://www.pege.org/gemini
>
> I created 1994 a short 20 second video about the planed house
> http://www.pege.org/gemini/pov_video.htm
>
> 2001 the house was the main atraction of the Styria country
> exhibition about energy
> http://www.pege.org/gemini-house
>
> Now I discovered, that this house is optimized for a complete
> different tax system, and that our current tax and social system
> will ruin the economy.
>
> As an answer to the situation, I wrote http://politik.pege.org
> (Sorry, only German version until now)
>
> And for a comparsion of the political system, I would like
> to write some pages with photos from speed.
>
> About the situation in the film
> About how similar is our situation
>
> So after FOX refused, what's about some POVray generated
> szene photos from Speed?
>

> --

> http://www.pege.org
> clear targets for a confused civilization
>

> A-5083 Gartenau
> +43 699 17343674

In the u.s. we used to, and sometimes still do have something called "fair
use" and using a few select photos with appropriate credits is o.k. This may
not be the case in your country. However Fox is known to be rediculous about
this. Some documentary once had a short, insignificant clip of The Simpsons
being shown on a television at the location where the film was being shot,
and Fox would not allow this without extravigant fees:
http://www.easylum.net/book/print/19

note point #3 towards the bottom of that page if you don't read anything
else.

The article is by Lessig who undoubtably know what he's talking about. The
problem is if we don't excercise our rights protected by law, we lose them
silently.

Also, from wikipedia there is an interesting page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Is your question, "would artist interpreted reproductions of the scenes be
legal and acceptable?" I think yes. But I also think your original plan
should have been ok as well. Or is your question, "Is someone willing to
help reproduce such images?"

sorry for the rant. i just think Fox's attitude is childish.