POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cylindrical image mapping & frequency Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  cylindrical image mapping & frequency (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Peter Duthie
Subject: cylindrical image mapping & frequency
Date: 3 Oct 2004 19:35:35
Message: <41608cc7$1@news.povray.org>
Is it possible to set the frequency of a cylindrically mapped image map
to something other than one?

Ie, currently if I map an image bitmap to a cylinder (map_type 2), I get
an image wrapped once around the Y axis, as documented.  However, what I
would like to do is map the texture such that N copies wrap around the Y
axis.

For example, lets say I have a seamless texture, and a very large
cylinder close to the camera.  Up close the texture looks grainy, as it
is only wrapped once about the Y axis, however as it's seamless, and the
camera is only seeing a small portion of the surface, one could get away
with increasing the frequency of the texture about the Y axis to
something greater than one (and scale on the y axis appropriately).

Is this possible?  If so, how?

Regards,

Peter D.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:36:12 +1000, Peter Duthie
<pli### [at] warlordsofbeercom> wrote:

>Is it possible to set the frequency of a cylindrically mapped image map
>to something other than one?
>
>Ie, currently if I map an image bitmap to a cylinder (map_type 2), I get
>an image wrapped once around the Y axis, as documented.  However, what I
>would like to do is map the texture such that N copies wrap around the Y
>axis.
>
>For example, lets say I have a seamless texture, and a very large
>cylinder close to the camera.  Up close the texture looks grainy, as it
>is only wrapped once about the Y axis, however as it's seamless, and the
>camera is only seeing a small portion of the surface, one could get away
>with increasing the frequency of the texture about the Y axis to
>something greater than one (and scale on the y axis appropriately).
>
>Is this possible?  If so, how?

  #declare desired_frequency = 2;  // integer >= 1

  pigment {
    image_map {
      tga "whatever.tga"
    }