POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange behaviour with looped function calls in POV 3.6 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Strange behaviour with looped function calls in POV 3.6 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Florian Brucker
Subject: Strange behaviour with looped function calls in POV 3.6
Date: 28 Jun 2004 14:39:49
Message: <40e065f5$1@news.povray.org>
I get strange error messages running the following code in POV-Ray 3.6
(It works fine in 3.5):

<POV>
#declare MyF = 	function { 1 }

#macro Test(F)
	(1)
#end

#local a = 0;
#while (a<20000)

	#debug "Works\n"
	#local Dummy = Test(MyF);

	#local a=a+1;
#end
</POV>

Here's the output:

<output>
Works
Works
Works
Works
Works
Works
File: bugsearch.pov  Line: 13
File Context (5 lines):
#while (a<20000)

#debug "Works\n"

#local Dummy = Test(MyF)
Parse Error: Identifier expected, incomplete function call or spline
call found
  instead.
</output>

As you can see, it outputs "Works" more than 50 times (did not copy all
of it :) before raising the error. I don't understand this, as each time
absolutely the same code is executed (content of identifiers are
unchanged etc.).

If I use

	#local Dummy = Test(function { MyF(x,y,z) });

(i.e. wrapping the function in another function block), it works again.

I'm experiencing this on Gentoo 2004.0, with 1 GB Ram and POV 3.6
official binaries. As I said before, it works without problems under POV
3.5.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Florian

Post a reply to this message